Hot Rod Forum banner

DCC with clear?

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  spankyway 
#1 ·
Hello All.. I have completed body work on my 67 camaro.. Almost time to paint.. I have decided on Viper red. I am trying to decide wheither to go with PPG two stage DBU, DCU or single stage DCC.. I have talked to a few body men around here and after I explain to them that I will be driving this car almost everday; I should go with DCC .... Spray the car with 2 or three coats of DCC and then on the last few coats mix. about half and half with 2010 clear. Any help is appreciated. I will be spraying this in a garage with a ventalation system.

#7 ·
I WOULD SPRAY IT WITH DBC USE A FAST DRYING REDUCER #860. IF YOU ARE SPRAYING A METALLIC COLOR AND YOUR GARAGE CAN BE KEPT AT 70 DEGREES YOU MIGHT WANT TO USE 870 ON YOUR LAST 2 COATS BE SURE YOU LET THE COATS FLASH [BECOME DRY TO TOUCH]BETWEEN COATS. I WOULD USE PPG 2042 CLEAR IN A GARAGE BECAUSE IT SETS UP REAL FAST.ITS A VERY HIGH QUALITY CLEAR ITS ALSO VERY HIGH SOLIDS SO IT SPRAYS THICK. YOU CAN SAFELY OVER REDUCE IT WITH REDUCER 10% SO ITS EASIER TO SPRAY.ITS EXPENSIVE ABOUT 40.00 A SPRAYABLE QT. PPG ALSO HAS OMNI CLEAR THATS FAST DRYING AND MORE AFFORDABLE.

#9 ·
65 degrees is minimum temp. anything less and your clear will not dry right. use the fastest reducer i think its 860 but check with jobber there might be a 850.also make sure you use the fastest catalyst they sell for the clear you buy. if 65 is max temp and you use 2042 use a little more reducer around 10%. let the clear dry tacky to the touch[none comes off on your finger when you touch it. 65 deg. is no problem with basecoat patients is the key to painting with no booth .

#10 ·
I am not big on PPG products but the autobody suuply store I work for sells a bunch of DBC. I learned to paint with DBU and switche dover to DuPont B/C C/C. I am thinking of trying the DBC because all the painters I know like it much better than the DBC. I hear it covers extremly well and is much easier to work with. The DBC has a reactive reducer that goes with it which means whatever you don't use you have to throw away. The DBC does not and what ever you mix and don't use you can put back in the can. Tis is one of the reason's I did not like DBU. Red is also a color that is hard to cover, just ask anyone that paints. :)

#12 ·
Base coat/clear coat requires more labor because the smallest scratches show. I use PPG's single stage paint which fills small scratches for the base coat. I then wet sand w/a rubber sanding blk when cured & clear coat it w/(2020). I usually paint my cars blk & this helps flatten the surface & covers small imperfections.The only time I use base coat/clear coat is when I'm shooting metallics.....Don

#18 ·
Don, I have a Sata jet NR2000 with a 1.4 needle and nozzle in it and for high solid clears with the proper air pressure man that thing is great!!! As far as the best clear, that is everyone's opinion. I personally like DuPont clears. They have some new clears that are unbelievable like 72200 and 72400 they also have a real new one 72500 that ia supposed to be show quality. They have a spot clear that dries almost to fast. At 70 degrees it air dries to buff in 2 hours and the shine is unbelievable. Most fast clears tend to cloud up but not this one, the part number is HC-7600. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.