Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Heart Breaker and Life Taker
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '89 f150,she has rear ABS,buuuuuuut they don't work. Rear wheels lock up on a hard stop and the front keep rollin. Fluid levels are fine. ABS light is off. Truck doesnt pull at all and moves when I release the pedal. Has plenty of pedal though. Too much sometimes. Ive talked to people about it but want yalls opinions about it. What do yall think it is?
Thanks.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Thoughts

well sounds to me like the sensors ae not functional..does the check brake lite come on..?? this particular deal will prob require a trip to see a brake tech to determine just what is going on here..These systems are designed to function as you describe..the senors or something can fail in the ABS system and you will still have brakes just that the car braking is not what it should be..So now it is off to see the guy who has the diagnostic gear to check out the system and determine just what failed so the proper piece can be replaced or repaired..

My thoughts on this one..

OMT

3,214 Posts
Does the ABS light come on at all. It should be on if you turn the key to the on position. If it doesn't light then, I would check the fuse. Normally, the ABS light will light if there is a problem with a sensor, but that isn't carved in stone. The bulb could also be bad! I do know that the system that Ford dealerships use(can't remember what it is right now), can test all of the sensors and tell you which one is bad, or giving no reading. I don't know if the systems that other shops have will do that or not, but they should. I do know that my 93 Ranger has a bad sensor for the rear, and those brakes will lock up easy. The light is also on on the dash(under the black tape).

One thing about ABS. They are designed to operate as regular brakes, if the ABS system is not operating properly. They will stop you, but as you found out, they will lock up and slide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.