Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's a good degreasing solvent to run through my power washer for cleaning up an engine/trans/rear end?

EDIT: Oh crud, I just did a search and not only discovered a thread on this from last January...but THE THREAD WAS STARTED BY ME!!!!!!! Must be old age, I'm already forgetting the good answers you guys already gave me. Anyhow, you can basically disregard this repeat of an old question.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I prefer to put the degreaser on first and let it sit a couple minutes and then power wash. I like greased lighting and purple power. Simple green is also very effective and environmentally friendly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I also prefer to put the cleaner/degreaser on first and let it sit for a bit. I use Castrol Super Clean....warning, be careful, it will strip some paint. It will also etch glass if allowed to dry on it full strength...I will be paying for the rest of my life for spotting the windshield of my wife's Mustang :nono:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cboy, you gave me a good laugh and made me feel better. I'm 52 and I have been doing stupid like that for a awhile. Makes me worry until I hear of others (often younger than me) that also suffer from CRS (Can't Remember *******).
FWIW, I hate to run degreaser through the power washer for fear of messing up the pump. I do like the others and put it on first and let sit a few minutes and then wash it.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fireboat said:
FWIW, I hate to run degreaser through the power washer for fear of messing up the pump.
The solvent inlet on my PW appears to be plumbed in AFTER the pump (on the outlet side of the pump) so I assumed the exiting water simply acted as a siphon and mixed with the solvent as it was exiting the pump. This led me to believe the solvent never went in the pump at all. Is this how most PWs are set up?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Most of them are set up that way but I too like to apply the degreaser first and let it sit for a while, seems to work a lot better that way.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
%I think the power washers are set up that way because the makers are hoping you will use their solution. You are right in that it uses suction and so a lot of the solution does not have time to work on what ever you are washing. It is simply washed off before it has time to work. As you know power washers have come way down in price lately and there is always one or two brands on sale each week. This way the makers of the power washer are able to sell you a cheap washer and hope you will use their solution and that is where they make their most money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.