Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m assembling a 454 with some good stuff someone else bought a couple years ago. He run out of money and sold me an unassembled 454 with brand new Edelbrock heads and intake, Comp roller rockers and a Comp cam but he has no idea where the cam sheet went. So, what should I do with the cam? Should I try it in the 0 mark and then +4 then -4 degrees then make a choice?
Help please!!!

·
The mobile view is crap
1,876 Posts
isn't there any markings on the cam? Like a part number? If your not sure of the cam specs just throw it in the garbage otherwise you will always be wondering what it is!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The part number is in the front of the cam. I don`t have it here right now. The question is, if I found the specs from an identical cam, can I use them? Are they machined exactly identical?

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
The part number is in the front of the cam. I don`t have it here right now. The question is, if I found the specs from an identical cam, can I use them? Are they machined exactly identical?
Almost none of their cams will match exactly, there is always some variance. To degree the cam you never really need the cam card at all, you check the timing events and then set them where you want them. I'm not sure where the problem is?

·
Paisano
59 Posts
Almost none of their cams will match exactly, there is always some variance. To degree the cam you never really need the cam card at all, you check the timing events and then set them where you want them. I'm not sure where the problem is?
I agree,this is really the only way to do the job,just make sure your valve lash is set right,use a lighter valve spring for this check,or else it may put you a few degrees off.
Paisano

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.