Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted some red deltron dbc and cleared it with dc3000. I rubbed a spot thu the paint with the air hose so I sanded down to the omni 170 epoxy and reshot the red.Itwrinkled at the edge where the epoxy and the old red paint meet.I sanded it down again and sprayed dry coats on.After about 4 tries I got it to cover and I cleared it. What"s up with this stuff.Like the saying goes"you get what you pay for"Yeah right at $122 buck a quart.Thanks

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The solvents in the base were attacking the featheredge and lifting it. Weather the epoxy (what temps) the old red paint, or the clear was just too fresh. Not really the bases fault. That epoxy was probably real thin at the feather edge. When you say old red paint, was that the red you applied or the original finish. Was it a 1k paint you painted over or an activated one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old red paint was what I applied the day before.The paint used an activator.I talked to a painter at the local body shop and he said it always happens with this s__t. And to spray on light coats of color and when that dries cover your bumpy dry paint with clear.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I have experienced the same thing when attempting a repair on freshly based and cleared PPG. I was advised to just dust on the base at the repaired area and wait a little longer before applying the clear. It is all about solvent release and has nothing to do with contamination.

Vince

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
pretty fresh clear if only a day old. Then your dumping solvent on it repainting. This is some of the reason why many people when they paint jambs, they sand all of the overspray off the outside if they will be painting it not too long after. I don't think just because it was deltron is the reason why you had the lifting problems, the solvents were lifting something you were painting over, not the paint itself. Thats why you dry spray when you are having a lifting problems, keep the solvent to a minimum and try to build a barrier with the paint over what is lifting.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is the bases fault, it reminds me of trying to recoat the old delstar. ppg what was I thinking. Next one will be dupont,see if it is any better.thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts