Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few small dents in my bonnet which would be easily knocked out with a hammer and dolly.

The problem is that i can't get to the back of the dent(or high side) as it is covered by the bracing on the underside of the bonnet.

How should i go about removing the dents. There are a couple in various places, with the largest being about the diameter of a golf ball, but only a few mm deep

·
Registered
533 Posts
Try suction first (suction cup with firm steady pulls) and if that doesn't get them, lightly weld pins (small nails work) to center of dent and use a slide hammer to CAREFULLY pull them up. Grind off pin, again carefully, and you have it. Use minimal heat so pin will be easy to remove. Good luck- (what are you working on?) :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Wow...!!! I like things that are 'not the norm' as far as looks go... and that is DIFFERENT!!! It should be really cool when finished!! Are you keeping all the chrome- restoring- customizing?? :cool:

3,214 Posts
In my area they do this thing called "Paintless dent removal". They actually get behind the dents and work them out, using rods of different lengths with bends on the ends. They are able to get to dents under braces with those rods. You might consider something like that to get them out. You could get some rod, like 3/8" diameter and make bends on the ends. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your replies, i will give some of them a go.

adtkart, i noticed you are from Newport over there, i am from a place called newport in Australia.

Dragon J.
I am going all out on the car. I have put in some 31 inch mini tubs in the rear. I am installing air bag suspension as we speak. I will be using a LSD diff supported by a custom made four link. The engine is a 225cui bored 60thou slant six which i have fully worked and i will be making up a custom fuel injection set up. The engine is backed by a supra five speed gearbox.

I will be making ther car into a 2 door and stretching the front doors. This will mean that i have to move the b pillar rearward and i will be making it perpendicular to the roof, not angled like it is. I will be deleting the vent windows at the front and using a single piece of glass. The rear side window will be one piece of fixed glass as i will remove the quater pillar.

Also i will be moving the handles into the chrome for the hidden look and i am making up a custom fuel filler door.

The car will ride on 18 inch wheels with low profile tyres. The front steering will be converted to rack and pinion and the interior will be fully customised.

And basically all this will be done by myself.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Again...WOW!!! Sounds really COOL!!! Can't wait for pics- I didn't check before posting and will after- do you have an album? If not get some pics up- this project sounds really neat and to be doing it yourself is even cooler!! Good Luck to you and keep us posted as to progress!!! :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your kind words. No i don't have an album. I have taken heaps of photos so far but. As soon as i get access to a scanner i will put them up.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
I've always admired those Valiants. IMHO, the most beautiful small car ever made. I think it is great you are running the slant-6. Breath of fresh air to see something that doesn't have a 350 SBC in it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Originally posted by Dragon J:
<strong>Try suction first (suction cup with firm steady pulls) and if that doesn't get them, lightly weld pins (small nails work) to center of dent and use a slide hammer to CAREFULLY pull them up. Grind off pin, again carefully, and you have it. Use minimal heat so pin will be easy to remove. Good luck- (what are you working on?) :) </strong><hr></blockquote>
we use the pins in our shop and its called a uni spotter and the good thing is you dont have to dril no holes

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Whoa wait a minute...You are going to make it into a 2door, stretch the doors, move the pillars...etc and you aren't sure how to get a ding out of the hood?! Not to sound mean or anything, but something doesn't sound right with that...especially after you told us that you are going to be doing all the work yourself.
As far as the car and the re-design concept goes, it sounds sweet. Didn't they make those cars in 2 door? You may be able to find doors or skins to start with.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Weimer,
Yep i'm doing all that and yes they did make a 2 door, but only over there in the states.

I knew the above mentioned methods of welding a pin in and using a slide hammer to pull it out, and trying to use suction, however i was just asking to see if there was any other suggestions which popped up. I don't work in the automotive trade so the only way i hear of new methods is by reading magazines and sites like this.

If it were a simple dent i wouldn't have a drama, however i can only get to one side of the dent.

I'm sure even the most experienced of body men learn how to do simple things new ways all the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you have the wrong idea. I can pop the dents in my bonnet(not roof) using a slide hammer and welding a screw onto the hood. I could also drill a hole in the centre of the dent and pull it out that way. I just wanted to see if anyone had any out of the ordinary ideas.

If you doubt my ability to do it, thats fine i don't really care. It's my car and i will do as i please. I am a compotent welder and i am studying mechanical engineering at university. I'll be sure to take plenty of photos so i can show you exactly how good it turns out in the end.

Cya
Richard

[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: 62slantsix ]</p>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive been using a stiff butter knife to get under the braces or a a thin high strength screw driver. Gently pry from underneath will using light reflections from your garage lights.Flouresent light works best. The straight reflections of the bulbs will be your guide. Don't do it outside in the day light. You need mirror like reflection of the bulb tubes to see what your doing.Don't try to push it out with one push. Massage it out gently in various spots of the dent until you see a sraight reflection of the light bulb. Look at it from various angles to get your best results. Take your time at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Years ago I heard of using dry ice on hail dents to remove.Must work by intense cooling and shrinking in a small area. Has anyone heard of this and does it work. Slant6 it sounds like a neat project. I had a 1962 Dodge Lancer GT(same body style)2dr Ht with the 225 slant six and three speed on the floor. Was a running little car for it's day. Datguy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tell Kevin to take a hike. Anybody can go buy a late model truck and throw some spindles on it and some gay scallops.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i live in nc. we have a company that comes out and does the work for us. i don't know if he is in your area but the company name is THE DENT WIZARD. if they are not in your area maybe giving them a call wouldn't hert. they might be able to tell you what to do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just tried snomans idea of using a object to poke under the brace and push the dents out. I used various sized flat head screwdrivers and held a flat dolly on the other side as i pressed up with the screw driver. When i got the dent almost all out, i applied constant pressure with the screwdriver and used the dolly like a hammer to tap the top side.

Worked a treat. So wiemer and kevin seing as how i can now remove dent's from my bonnet can i now make my car a 2 door??? ;)

Thanks to all who offered advice.

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: 62slantsix ]</p>

1 - 20 of 26 Posts