Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done "desktop" builds on Ford engines and it seems to be generous
with HP, torque, VE., etc. The benefit I received from it was a better understanding as to how individual changes affect performance. The
exactness may not be there but one can learn tendencies in a way that
pure reading sometimes tends to confuse. I have a FE390 that is almost
complete and will be dynoed. I will give a comparison figures when it is
finished. Tim

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
I ever had and engine dyno'd how much does it cost? Arn't you afraid they will blow it up?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
464 Posts
There is a dyno shop down the street from me that usually charges somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for 3 pulls with air/fuel and time to tune between pulls... They won't blow your motor though, because they will never get in your car. You drive it yourself. Sometimes they have events for clubs and you can get it for like $10 - $20 a pull if you are a member.

·
Footbraker
693 Posts
I'd be interested in those comparison numbers, DD2000 said my motor made 327 hp at the flywheel and from the 1/4 mile times I came up with 285 hp (flywheel). I'm curious as to the accuracy of the conversion formulas as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dyno results

My engine is a ford FE 390, 10.75/1 compression, Edelbrock equipped.
Super Flow dyno 750cfm edelbrock carb [email protected] ; 439lb-ft @4000
850 holley [email protected] 5000rpm; 455lb-ft @ 4000
The Dyno 2003 version 4.05 was a consistent 9% to 10% higher with the
750cfm and 10.7% to 11.5% higher with the 850 Holley. Volumetric efficiency
was also higher...3% to 4% higher. I suspected it would be from earlier
desktop work. I cannot tell you what the difference would be for other engines or manufacturers. I had a Cloyes timing set failure(an upcoming
post) came close to losing the engine. Later, Tim

·
Registered
102 Posts
We have both the Dyno2000 and the Drag2000 programs. My husband and I were quite surprised that both of the programs produced just about the same numbers as when we were building the 499 engine for my '71 Plymouth Duster. The 499 was put on an engine dyno. Last year, before we built the 499 engine for MAX (my '71 Duster) we had the Duster chassis dyno'd. However, MAX had a 440 in him at the time. The cost was about $300 for the chassis dyno and the engine dyno was $500. Both of our Dyno programs were purchased from Summit for $40 per program. I think they are a good investment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts