Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
First off, the SPI products are the best I have ever used hands down, their prices are reasonable and customer service are second to none. As for base, you will likely get several different answers for different people. I have had good results from PPG Deltron, Standox, and R-M for base colors. I have not had the chance to use any, but I have heard good things about Pro-Spray and Wanda base coats as well. As already stated, I would also recommend using a sealer prior to base to get even coverage. I don't know if they still offer it or not, but R-M used to mix sealer in a color close to the base color to help with coverage on the highly transparent colors. If that's no longer an option, I would probably use a gray sealer or possibly black depending on if you want the paint a little lighter or darker when finished. For primer, sealer, clears, reducers, and cleaners I highly recommend SPI. I recommend their base coats too if you need one of the colors they offer. I used to use PPG 2021 and 2002 clear coats and switched to SPI, never looked back.:thumbup:

Kelly

·
Registered
43 Posts
First off, the SPI products are the best I have ever used hands down, their prices are reasonable and customer service are second to none. As for base, you will likely get several different answers for different people. I have had good results from PPG Deltron, Standox, and R-M for base colors. I have not had the chance to use any, but I have heard good things about Pro-Spray and Wanda base coats as well. As already stated, I would also recommend using a sealer prior to base to get even coverage. I don't know if they still offer it or not, but R-M used to mix sealer in a color close to the base color to help with coverage on the highly transparent colors. If that's no longer an option, I would probably use a gray sealer or possibly black depending on if you want the paint a little lighter or darker when finished. For primer, sealer, clears, reducers, and cleaners I highly recommend SPI. I recommend their base coats too if you need one of the colors they offer. I used to use PPG 2021 and 2002 clear coats and switched to SPI, never looked back.:thumbup:

Kelly

So Kelly just buy the base only from diamont and buy everything else from SPI ?
Mixing product will not matter?

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
So Kelly just buy the base only from diamont and buy everything else from SPI ?
Mixing product will not matter?

That's what I would do. Mixing brands for different products (IE: SPI primer, SPI sealer, Diamont base, SPI clear) is not a problem. The problems start when you use different brands in the same product (IE: Diamont activator in PPG base, etc). Get diamont base, diamont reducer for the base, and diamont activator for the base. I use SPI primer, sealer and clear with either Standox or PPG Deltron base and have not had any problems with adhesion or longevity. Be sure you allow proper flash and dry times between coats and products. If it would make you feel better you can call Barry at SPI to ask and get his opinion of using his products with the Diamont base.

Contact Us

Kelly

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
OUCH......1520.00 for paint and materials who knows a diamont rep I need a discount lol
From the bottom to top... primer to final clear... I usually spend $2000-$3000 on materials for a complete job.

You get what you pay for! If you are selling the car, use cheap paint. It may look okay for 3-5 years. If you want it to look good for 20 to 30 years, use the good stuff. I don't know about you, but I only want to do things ONCE.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wow, this thread was started over 10 years ago. Heard nothing but good about SPI, but have not used it. I am having excellent results from Wanda.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.