Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen discussions about this before but I couldn't find them. About to refill my coolant system, gonna use 50/50 antifreeze and water. Do I use distilled, spring, drinking, straight out of the hose or what?

Edit: 100% aluminum radiator and water pump, and of course, iron block.

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
I remember seeing a discussion on here to cant find it. But i use straight from the spicket. I remember someone saying use distilled water but i dont know why it matters hmmm need to find that discussion. Cole

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems like I read somewhere that distilled is the worst for promoting Galvanic corrosion. I guess I could Google it, but I'd like to hear some real world experience.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have been using 50/50 prestone/distilled water since 1985 and my radiators don't give me trouble. I don't prestone flush anymore; seems like waste of time and money. If I start seeing the coolant is looking dirty, I drain it (from engine block and raditor) then replace with new. I have a 1964 1/2 mustang radiator I had serviced during engine build about 15 years ago; I use distilled H2O/prestone. Radiator and heater core still work great.

Before 1985 I used 50/50 prestone/tap H20 and prestone flushed about once per year;I was always having problems with radiators and heater cores plugging up. Rate of scaling will depend on your local tap H2O.

My Dad still uses tap water and I recently had to have his 1966 Radiator recored because his truck started getting hot on interstate.

I bought a new motorcycle in 1990 with an aluminum engine. I have changed the coolant twice. I used 50/50 prestone/distilled water. Radiator works like new.

I bought a new 1985 fiero. I changed coolant a few times. I used prestone/distilled H2O. Original radiator and heater core still worked perfect when I sold it in 1996 (well over 100,000 miles).

·
Registered
382 Posts
I found this when looking into an aluminum radiator and it may have been covered in the links.

When running an aluminum radiator or any aluminum parts in contact with the water jacket, make sure to run a sacrificial anode (usually zinc) to prevent the electro-displacement of the aluminum. This will save the aluminum parts, in short.

I am about to install an aluminum radiator myself and will research this when I get to that point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
use distilled water it is semi-pure water the calcium (ca) iron (fe) magnesium (mg) has been mostly removed from it these are the deposits that plug up your cooling systems. At high temps and the wrong side of neutral pH (7) scale can and will form in a very short time. Been doing water chemistry for the last 20 years so I know what I am talking about use distilled

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.