Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
More machine than man
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled an 8" GM balancer of this SBC350 truck engine and got an SFI 18.1 approved Trick Flow unit that is 6.61" diameter. Will this work on a mild street motor (~400HP)? I am planning on the occasional surge to 6,500 RPM, but not sustained RPM usage. This is a complete rebuild of the motor btw so I do not want to risk any damage or hinder performance. It is going into an 81 Chevy C10 with manual trans and 3.73 posi out back.

Here is what I got sitting in the garage waiting to be installed: Trick Flow Specialties TFS-19000 - Trick Flow® Track Max® Harmonic Dampers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It appears the only 8" balancers are GMPP (which I am thinking is the best option even though its not SFI) or some questionable Chinese units (Dorman, Prof Prod, SCAT, Pioneer), which I want to avoid altogether.

Take me to school on balancers! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
350 Chevy is neutral balance. ANY neutral balance unit will work on a street engine. As long as you can adapt the timing tab, pulleys, etc. to work with the small balancer. GM used small balancer for many years..

·
More machine than man
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like from what I am reading a larger diameter is more desirable for engine longevity. Smaller balancers are desirable on race engines where longevity is not an issue due to constant rebuilds.

I wonder if it is more of an issue of diameter or weight?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.