Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I got about 150 hotwheels hanging off the walls myself.. oldest is a '68 redline edition '31 Ford ( out of package ), and the newest is 2009 First editions Javelin AMX .. only 20 cars or so are opened, the rest are sealed.. it keeps growing

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
150 Hot Wheels is a LOT!! I've heard about the redline's being more collectable, I have only a couple but no redline.

My nephew has Hot Wheels out the ying-yang! He even has a bicycle made for Hot Wheels that was a giveaway, if you found a gold coin? or something like that in one of the car packages.

He does eBay sometimes, goes by krashkrat. If you do eBay at all, you may know him. Good guy- honest to a fault, almost.

One entire bedroom of his house is nothing but wall to wall (literally) Hot Wheels. He got started as a 4 year old and still has the round, plastic case and all the cars (7, maybe?) that he first was given to him by his dad.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Redlines are a little more collectible.. for a while they wern't making them, but they brought them back when they had the Hotwheels classic series and then the since '68 40 year anniversery series.. I have a few redline cars now, and there producing a few normal cars in redline.. also have a few unopened matchbox, racing champions cars, incliding 2 of the Racing champions MINT cars, which are high detail in collector packaging.. that Ebay name sounds familliar, I might have gotten a car off him b4, but I'd have to check to be sure

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
matt167 said:
Redlines are a little more collectible.. for a while they wern't making them, but they brought them back when they had the Hotwheels classic series and then the since '68 40 year anniversery series.. I have a few redline cars now, and there producing a few normal cars in redline..
I didn't know they had re released red lines. Chris was always talking about this detail and that difference between "similar" cars- even differences in the stripes and such (he had a strange-sounding name for the stick-on stripes, etc. Can't remember it @ the moment).

I found a nondescript Camaro in the back of the Jeep I got from him. Happened to mention it to him, thinking it couldn't be anything special. He liked to have fell out! Turns out, it was some weird different Camaro- different in that it had some details that varied from what the majority of the cars had. He said it was worth a ton more than the regular one. Couldn't prove it by me! lol

also have a few unopened matchbox, racing champions cars, incliding 2 of the Racing champions MINT cars, which are high detail in collector packaging..
I don't have ANY Mint cars, got the Racing Champions 1/64 Gold and Platinum editions, though. My die casts are mostly Racing Champions, some Winner's Circle, Hot Wheels and Match Box, too.

that Ebay name sounds familliar, I might have gotten a car off him b4, but I'd have to check to be sure
He's out of Kissimmee, FL.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I just checked, and I havn't got anything off him, but I'm pretty sure he had some cars I was going to get at 1 time, as it sounds really familliar...

theres so many diffrent things that makes 1 hotwheels worth more than the other.. I really don't buy them for the value myself, I buy what I like and, never open them so I know they will retain value, but I could have a real gem hanging right next to 1 that is worthless.. I do know that wheel diffrences, chassis/ base diffrences and color will all effect the value along side the stripe diffrences... The basic base is a Malaysia base, but there are also bases from Thailand which are found on the higher end or specialty cars, like the since 68 cars or classics series.. there may be other bases but I'm not aware of them.. all mine are from Malaysia or Thailand.. with the exception of the original '68 Redline I have which is USA.. I have an unopened '86 edition of the Old # 5 and altho it's a heavier car with a painted and not chrome/ aluminum color base, it is a Malaysia base, and the stamp on the car is 1980, so Malaysia goes back to at least 1980

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.