Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...
i was sitting there thinking.... and i was wondering if anyone had or you guys thought it was plausible to build a diesel rod... they can be converted to veggie oil or kerosene or whatever you want to run ish(i know there are limitations) but it may end up being cheaper than gas if you ride by McDonald's to fill up... i know the power bands usually are shorter but with a turbo charged engine the power band nearly meets the NA pump gas engine and they have tuns of torque so i was think acceleration would be fine if geared right... it would be fun to drive

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
1) It is plausible, but not for me.
2) The "mags" have been talking it for a years.
3) Diesel engines were invented to run on vegetable oil, and they do it well.
4) When this gets popular there won't be any excess cooking oil to be had.

5) NOISE and more noise. An irritating and non-pleasant noise. Irritating even worse than rap or blue grass music........ :pain:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL i agree with the noise but "loud pipes saves lives" and maybe you could muffle it enough to cut down on the noise or something

·
Registered
249 Posts
Joe, I know it's a long cold winter there in Kalispell but a diesel rod? Oh well, why not. It would be kinda cool and definitely different.

Coldest I've ever been was a day in Whitefish and on Big Mountain.

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
I am the service manager in a diesel shop and we do a lot of hot rod stuff. You won't believe how these new diesels respond to some of these add ons. A plugin deal that adds 150 rear wheel hp for $350.00 dollars. Try to find that for your gas burner oh and it takes 6 minutes to do it. We have a customer who has an 06 GM Duramax and it puts 570 Rear wheel hp on a chassis dyno. This truck will run off from most all the new muscle cars. It is a crew cab dually.

Here is a link to a diesel powered dragster

http://www.scheiddieselmotorsports.com/ScheiddieselMotorsports/drag.html

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
it's available, just still to new to be reasonably priced....

Audi won Lemans with a 5.5L 650hp V12 diesel burning Shell enviro-diesel......in race form it is very very quiet.....got way better mileage than the competition (laps per tank).....torque is a insane number like 800ftlbs, everyone was amazed it didn't break "something"

don't recall for sure but I think it did set fastest lap

it has won every race since the intro by alot and now has to carry added weight....still hasn't lost or broken

my guess, the technology will be available within 5 years "for the street"

ha! glad to see I'm not the only one who mis-spells "diesel" constantly

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There was the "clean air deuce" back when, a Rod & Customom 32 roadster project with propane power, don't know if it was ever finished but nobody cared anyway. There was the 4 cylinder movement but it died aborning.
I'm sure that out there somewhere is a diesel-powered hot rod that nobody gives a damn about too.
The fact is that hotrodders don't want weirdo fuels, they want gasoline, they don't want greenie daydreams interfering with the fun of playing with cars. This may be politically incorrect but so be it!
Hotrodders are a very diverse bunch, there are 6cyl fans, 4 cyl fans and then there is the great majority...V8 folks.
Let those who choose to drive Elements (the favorite of women, effeminate men, and gay folks in general), Prius and the Honda brother, and electro-gas Escapes and so forth, but LEAVE US ALONE!

·
Crazier By The Minute
113 Posts
To each his own. I saw a Hot Rod at a show with a 6 cylinder gas engine and someone left a note that said "I should of had a V-8". There is much more to burning vegetable oil that filling up at Mickie D's. Bud

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes it is cold which is why im not our in my garage working on my car :( of well there's always may when it warms up ;) or a space heater
also i know you have to filter or refine the veggie oil a little from Micky d's the fry chunkies would wreak havoc to your engine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Funny you should ask
I am currently building a 55 Chevy Pick-up soon to be powered by an 06 Duramax, tuned to 600 Hp at the rear end, can't wait to go Cobra hunting.
I am currently working through the chassis design plans since the basic Hot Rod chassis just will not take the torque. I just have to fire-up the AutoCAD and get drawing.
I am planning on air bags all round, going to sit on the ground when parked.
Halibrand rear end, because I like the looks, six speed Allison autobox.
Going to paint it Bronze green and Sand, classic Land Rover colors, semi gloss with ghost flames.
Can't wait to get started, I am still looking for a write-off Duramax pickup though, need one for parts.

·
41' Chevy Master DeLuxe Tudor
123 Posts
One of my teachers in college was going to put a 5.7 Olds diesel in his jet boat. Don't know if he did or not but that would have been different.

We did an experiment in Fuels and Lubricants class (back in 86') which we used a small % of peanut oil and diesel fuel mix vs. regular diesel fuel and ran the two in a V8 Detroit on the dyno after a tune up. The peanut oil mix did make some notable gains in horsepower but it was short lived. It seemed to gum up the fuel injectors we noticed afterwards by pulling them for an inspection. Kinda smelled funny too. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Who knew a Duramax would be so hard to come by?
I got excited after SEMA when a director at GM promised to 'Hook me up" with a duramax. One would expect a director to have the juice to get one, seems he was full of *****, ended up sicking their legal department on me when I sent too many e-mails wondering what was up.
Oh well stuff happens.
So I am back on the hunt for a wrecked 05 or 06 Duramax pickup as a donor.
In the mean time I am building a custom interior for may Defender 90.
maybe I will build a Land Rover low-rider while I am waiting to a diesel to show up :D

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
18to1, show us some pictures under from under the hood. That looks pretty cool. :thumbup: What did you do to get the car to support the weight and torque of the engine? I know it has aluminum heads but that thing still has to weigh close to twice the weight of the V6 that was in there.

Was that car a true GNX at one time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Blazin72 said:
18to1, show us some pictures under from under the hood. That looks pretty cool. :thumbup: What did you do to get the car to support the weight and torque of the engine? I know it has aluminum heads but that thing still has to weigh close to twice the weight of the V6 that was in there.

Was that car a true GNX at one time?
Its a clone

Here is a pic of under the hood

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts