Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 50 Merc has an F-150 1977 year vintage and i am running a standard p/s pump, I am driving my Merc all the time It has a bit of wander, thats not the word. It "twitchy" is the word .I have tried Heidts adjustable steering equalizer box for pressure , Did not work . What if i put a larger P/S- pulley on the engine.and left the stock pulley on the pump/ seems like this would have a bearing on the steering "twitch"
please send me any ideas you may have that this might or might not work Thank you greatly. bob s

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,281 Posts
SOunds like the ratio is to fast.

Slowing the pump down won't help. They are a positive pressure pump so they are designed to put out the same pressure at all RPM's.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SOunds like the ratio is to fast.

Slowing the pump down won't help. They are a positive pressure pump so they are designed to put out the same pressure at all RPM's.

They make A valve that installs in the P/S pump believe its pressure reducer,?? maybe. I have been friends trying to help.- to take out the spring inside the largest nut ,on the backside of the pump, and cut it in half. Put the spring back in,........... system back to working order . It should be good to go. They make this little valve. from speedway. Should i look into this>

I would like to find some here who has done this. or knows this is my option. thank you for whatever you may have on this great weekend to you guys bob s

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A lot of strange steering problems are often tracked back to a bad rag joint. If the car has a rag joint replace it they are cheap and easy to replace.

Certainly too twitchy is not going to be solved at the pump. One thing to consider is tire size and steering geometry. Also types of tires and shape can effect the way a car handles. If its a bais car with radials then good chance the car needs some tweaking. Often some simple alignment work can sort this type of problem out. having the tires pointing inward toward each other or toe in.

So more toe in the car goes straighter and resists wandering more. Now more toe out can have the opposite effect and can get very pronounced as the toe in reaches zero. Many new cars have this problem since they are setup for fuel mileage and not for stability at speed.

Some rear toe in can also help solve this type of issue.

Before making any radical changes i would get the car a full alignment setup for the way you drive. often neutral alignment on an older car will drive the owner nuts. Since modern cars are designed to work with neutral toe where and older car must have some tighter alignment to keep it tracking straight and not have a twitchy feel.

Hope this helps
It is all stock A-arms and the rest is Fatmans stuff /dropped spindles etc. I was remotely thinking about these "Coker" 205s,Cokers are known to be..lets jus say; abit of a- pia most of the time.---More toe-in-------- ,the f-150 box 1977 vintage. hooked up with Borgeson joints. No slop anywhere.
Rear toe-in? I am lost on that idea unless its a Vette.I think and hope you've nailed it down for my 50 Merc HB.I did have one of those Heidths little black adjusting boxes, ..inline. Absolutely no help, with that idea.Little problems like this get to me more than they use to, Thank you much HB. I do
appreciate this--bob s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts