Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working for a couple of years on a 76 vette for my soon to be ex-wife. built a stud 454, rebuilt trans, all new body mounts, suspension bushings, springs, brakes, a killer paint job....
since the three hurricanes here the first one being a direct hit I have no shop left, divorce still in progress (over a year battling) I'm getting pretty frustrated, had to deliver the 80% complete vette to my soon to be ex, towed it over and parked it and covered it. she can get someone else to finish it, or sell it. I've found another shop to rent but have very little room to spare. I had to take it there cause the remnants of my old shop are being removed by bulldozer now. Now I'm the bad guy for "dumping" HER car at HER residence. I can't wait for this to be over. Wish me luck guys.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
$10,000 will get you a hit man...less than the vettes worth...

j/k

Good luck, I hope your lawyer is better than hers.

·
What to write here?
41 Posts
Good lord, I'd drive over and hock that car out of there so fast it would make her head spin and then sell it for some "mad money" if I were you. That's pretty darn ingrateful of her...

Good luck because you're going to need it!

Kristen

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When we bought it, I had her title it in her name, gonna be her ride. (I've got my own toys) selling it is out of the question. It just pisses me off that her perspective is that I'm a bad guy for DELIVERING it and saving it from further damage. She forgets the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that I put into it. My best solution is to walk away, but let my lawyer know what is going on with it. My lawyer is the most feared divorce attorney in the county. (hers specializes in settlements and mediation, never goes to court!) I'm sitting well on that count.
(there is one other very good divorce attorney in the area, I went to him for a $100 consultation early in this situation, now conflict of interest considerations keep my future ex from hiring him or his firm) :thumbup:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
Get a buddy that she doesn't know to make her an offer on the car on your behalf, cheap price, then it will be yours again. Now wouldn't that torque her panties! 76 vettes aren't too awful expensive for a plain jane, no one wants them. BUT, in your case, with all the work you've done, she probably doesn't know what it's worth, and I'll bet she doesn't want to pay someone to finish it, it wouldn't be cheap. Good luck man, Dan

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's an L82 4 speed car, so as far as 76s go, it's not a total undesireable, I really don't think I want it anyway. I can use it overvalued in the divorce proceedings as a "give up" to help equalize the equity in the house, more cash in hand for me!

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Finish it for her 100%. Slap some junkyard parts on it to get it running. Run it thru Maaco for the $195.00 Ambassador Deluxe paint job. Toss a little Armor-All on the tires to shine 'em up. Get someone to give you an appraisal on it. Then tell the Judge that it is worth about $30g's now that it is 100% complete. That ought to offset some of the pain of the divorce.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a huge hangar you could store it in up here if you want. Payment being you would have to give the car to me instead of that...um...witch. haha.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would cost you a lot more than storage young lady! ;)
<too cold up there anyway!>

All that is left to finish it is rebuild headlight door actuators and relays, engine acessories, radiator support, radiator, condensor, and interior, side pipes and minor trim and emblems. (almost all parts in hand including interior and carpets) I'd guess that about 40 hrs and $1,000 would finish it up nicely.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Biggarmike said:
(there is one other very good divorce attorney in the area, I went to him for a $100 consultation early in this situation, now conflict of interest considerations keep my future ex from hiring him or his firm) :thumbup:
NICE, I'll have to keep that in mind for when I get divorced on day.

·
Move It On Over!
227 Posts
Divorce is no fun, obviously, but the sooner you get through it, and it's official, the good ole Divorce Decree is the law of the land between you and the X.

Offer to pick up the car and take it back. Don't tell her there's a storage fee involved! You may even be able to "trade" it for something else, like furniture...

Seriously, only do nice things, don't do any mean things because any actions can be brought up later on in court documents that will go on file in your divorce case record kept at the court. As time goes by, all these actions add up, either for or against your advantage. Your goal is to have lots of actions of good nature showing the judges you are normal. Especially if child custody is involved.

And, just because you're the man doesn't mean you should automatically get screwed out of everything and taken to the cleaners, financially.

I wish you the best and hang in there, good cruzin' times are going to come again!

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Kevin wins, GREAT idea man.

Remember when chris rock was talking about the OJ simpson case?

"I ain't sayin he shoulda killed her...

but I understand."

K:thumbup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dug up some info she has been witholding from the court, she has a tax number and a business license for a retail store.... gonna let my lawyer know, good ammo to have!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts