Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doc here:pimp:

THE WEIRD WORLD OF ELECTRICITY......

It seems no matter how safe we work, Or what precautions we take working on or around Vehicles...We're Still all Subject to My "A" Driver MURPHY....

This Is a story out of the Local newspaper where my Sis Lives..Barstow...(Like , Who Voluntarily Lives There, anyway, an X files project?)

The Driver involved is My Brother~In~Law's Nephew....Shawn, Has been Driving Tow operation for years Safely until this occurrence...

Tow Truck Driver Recovering From Lightning Strike
Bolt Strikes Truck, Travels Through Operator

POSTED: 5:32 pm PDT September 13, 2004
UPDATED: 7:51 pm PDT September 13, 2004

LOS ANGELES -- A scarred right hand and heavy bandages around his feet remind a Barstow tow truck driver of the lightning strike that nearly claimed his life Friday night.

The scar on Shawn Angel's right hand marks the spot that a lightning bolt entered his body.

Angel, 34, was helping a stranded motorist Friday night on Interstate 15. Officials said he nearly died when the lightning surged through his body.

Authorities said Angel was about to finish loading the disabled vehicle when lightning hit the tow truck. He was knocked to the ground and temporarily paralyzed.

Doctors said the lightning exited through his feet.

"When I grabbed hold of the metal and my feet were on the ground, it used me as a grounding rod," Angel said.

Lightning also struck the stranded motorist. The San Clemente man was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.

A passing motorist saw the strike and stopped to assist. Doctors said Angel's shoes were still on his feet when he arrived at the hospital, but holes were burned in his socks.

"I just put my head down and waited because I knew I was still breathing," Angel said. "I figured if I didn't panic, I would last long enough for someone to get there and help me."

He is scheduled to have surgery on his right heel and a toe on his left foot.

So far, Shawn is doing well, My Sis and Bro~in~Law Went to visit him today...and is recovering satisfactory....

(Except The hospital trays and IV poles rush at him at extreme speed...Channel changes on the TV when he wheels by...Microwave oven in the nurses station overheats while waiting for his food to warm....Other than that, He seems normal....)

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
654 Posts
What a bad deal, really glad Shawn is OK. Anytime I am working (especially electrical) I'll take off the ring and watch for safety consideration. In Shawns case not much could have been done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
WOW, Doc! That is amazing! I am glad he's doing well! That lightning is some bad stuff!

Will say a prayer for him!

Rock on and God bless...

Señor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad to here he is ok.

Had a Navy Electrician on a ship I was on put his hand into a 440VAC 400Hz box, it grabbed him, went in thru his hand and out his ankles. Ended up fusing his elbow so he couldn't bend it. They had to break it and reset it to get it to heal correctly. OUCH!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Shock

N8PHU said:
Glad to here he is ok.

Had a Navy Electrician on a ship I was on put his hand into a 440VAC 400Hz box, it grabbed him, went in thru his hand and out his ankles. Ended up fusing his elbow so he couldn't bend it. They had to break it and reset it to get it to heal correctly. OUCH!

400 hz Really hurts! been bit a few times from Aircraft buses before, I can tell you, It will straighten out your back in a hurry!

I got bit once , years ago when I was arc welding in an industrial park on a VERY hot day,

I was holding the stinger, by the rod in my hand, while I took a 10 minute break, and leaned up against the wall with no shirt on and a sweaty torso...

I leaned up against a 4 inch diameter 3 phase, 440 conduit...

I guess the imbalance thought ground to the stinger went through my body and blew me off the wall...

It was luckily a frequency bite and not current generated...hurt and burned, but didn't stop my heart...OUCH!

I have been bit by stray ground in a 15 KV vault, (enough power to blow a buss ground cable,4 inch dia cable 15 feet long, weight about 600 lbs, snapped it like a bull-whip!) while cleaning the vault, I have been bit by 3 phase 440, 600 amp stuff, I have been bit by 110/220 AC and (by far worse) DC ... But the Worse bite I ever got was 277/3 phase commercial lighting...Blew me off a man-lift...The wire was "So out of phase" it moved on it's own toward the man-lift..and grounded it! "

Doc

:pimp:

crazy larry said:
that is shocking.;)

Doc, how is he a month later?

He has recovered nicely, Thank you for asking...

metal Tools don't seem to rush into his hand anymore...He quit eating with plastic silverware...He quit looking for the "Mother-ship" to be landing...and PG&E meters go in the right direction now when he stands next to them...and has to use a flashlight at night again...

he Is getting used to walking again after surgery, and we have set up a plan to put 8 inch copper spikes welded/Brazed to the Bottom center of the outriggers, (from a PG&E grounding rod) so when you extend the outriggers to pick up a tow, they dig through the asphalt into a "Hard Ground" ...

also working on Ideas about retractable grounding straps off the mud-flaps (like a window shade) so you don't wear them out going down the highway....

And for you guys that wonder about how Volatile the computer is in a vehicle is... Both Computers in The truck and the deceased's car work and suffered no damage..after millions of volts!! So there is something to say about the state of HMOS/CMOS buffering nowadays!! Pretty Tough Units!

The radio gear and MTD (motorized data terminal, like the computer in a cop car) Still work too, In fact the truck was back on the road the following day!

'Tricity....Weird stuff!

Larry, Thanks again for asking, ....

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
Very glad to hear he's OK Doc.
"I feel you pain!" I was working under my RV (bare feet on the cement with my knee touching the frame) in a rare Cal. summer thunderstorm when lightning hit the telephone pole across the street about 50 yards away. Got shocked thru my foot and knee. Came running outta there and couldn't stop shaking for about half an hour.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shocked!

Toyz,

Yea~och!! Close call !

Did you suffer any burns? those are the worst...and the worst electrical burn is microwave ... (from a transmitter dish) they burn from the inside out... slowly!

Got me a few of those in my time!
( forever blinded Accidentally in my right eye from a 30 KW ERP microwave 1.2 Ghz Transmitter )

Glad to hear you survived The strike though...Scary stuff!

It would seem, That patch of road between Barstow (where Shawn lives) and Vegas gets hit a lot by lightning...some sort of divine justice I guess...

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
My foot hurt for a few days and my lower leg felt like a really sore muscle strain also. No burn thru on my foot. I've been shocked before though working on cars for 30 years. An HEI system can really bite if your not careful. I've been out there on I-15 during those storms in the desert. Incredible! We usually go to Cal City/Mojave area to ride dirt bikes in the winter. Not bad that time of year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Doc, it sounds like you have been in some of the same places I have been.....

Glad to hear he is up and around.

A nasty bite I had once was 5oo watts CW carrier into my finger. Was working on changing antennas on my Ham setup and one of the young ones came along and pressed down the key........

My 76 Trans Am got me once with the spark voltage.....was trying to clip on a Inductive timing light... I didn't have the plug wire on tight and tried to push it back on....

Had a guy on a sister ship stand in front of a radar dish when it was on....Didn't survive....

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
part 97.....

N8PHU said:
Doc, it sounds like you have been in some of the same places I have been.....

Glad to hear he is up and around.

A nasty bite I had once was 5oo watts CW carrier into my finger. Was working on changing antennas on my Ham setup and one of the young ones came along and pressed down the key........

My 76 Trans Am got me once with the spark voltage.....was trying to clip on a Inductive timing light... I didn't have the plug wire on tight and tried to push it back on....

Had a guy on a sister ship stand in front of a radar dish when it was on....Didn't survive....
Doc here :pimp:

Tisk...tisk...:nono: Now That's why part 97 put the part in about Disconnecting the power on your transmitter prior to attempting any antenna work....Remember the tech test? :D LOL....

Been licensed Since 93...myself...:smash:

RF burns are the worst...I hate them and as I said before microwave is the worst..It feels like "*****ley heat" when first exposed and starts burning minutes / hours AFTER the exposure...That's how I lost my Eye..!

After I retired From the airlines some 15 to 18 years ago.. I started putting together ENG's as a hedge against inflation..lot's of microwave stuff there...

Not to mention I am into our ATV repeater Here big time... 1289.250 Mhz up-link...427.250 (TV Cable Channel 58) Down-link...W6CX on top of Diablo (the tower is 3800 +300..feet on the mountain, covers from The high sierras, about just below Truckee To about Fresno! Great footprint!)...Got a mini Studio in the rear deck of my Vette for mobile Video...and a 1.2 ghz exciter, 36 watt PA , and a Co~phased Shorty...with about 11 Db of gain...(You can do the math on the ERP!) I Can fry my own hamburgers on my antenna roof mount ....(Take that Cell phone users/drivers...I can operate a camera and be just as distracted as you!)

When I was in the service...Eons Ago... We used to use the anti personal radar to sweep the UPI reporters .. those guys with bandoleer's of Flash bulbs around their necks... (late 60's)...and watch the fun as each bulb went off....:pain:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man, Those UPI guys musta been P****d about that.

Yea, I should've removed the key, but when you think you are the only one up at 3am and you want to go from 80 Meter to 40 meters....

I currently working in a Satellite Earth station as a RF / Transmitter engineer. Microwaves are no joke! I can't remember how many credit cards I had to replace being around them and the magnetic fields around the transmitters.

Electricity is a strange animal.....

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Thanks Jet...

I don't think there will be any lasting effects..unless he starts seeing aliens or something...

This seemed the most apropo forum For posting the story...

BTW, wanted to say before, I always enjoy your posts...lot's of good stuff and right on info ...Shows a lot of dedication to the hobby...and I think you said this is your career also...Good job!

Thanks again,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts