Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i can get a digital dash conversion for my 1993 sierra van. I was wonderin is that a direct bolt on, the digital dash came from a conversion van which mine is not.. do you think it might need any special speed sensor.. looks like it just pops right in and all the wiring is all the same... do i need any kind of special sensors to do this>??/

·
Registered
30 Posts
well, only one way to find out; pop it in and try it! if it works, it works, if it doesn't it doesn't.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Chances are it'll pop right in no prob. But it may need some tuning (might have jumpers on the board) to accomodate various engine packages. Or, it could go poooofff, and require the assistance of a fire extinguisher. lol. If you so dare just plug it in and see what happens, good luck. And keep us posted. (I'm thinking that it would just drop in w/o a prob.)

·
Registered
369 Posts
You'll have to change the computer and all. the speedo runs through the computer on the digital gauges. also there's a mileage set in the computer that matches the car. This way they can determan if the miles has been set back.
Your plug of the back of the digital dash will be different than the standard dash.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Awsum34, did GM not get rid of the speedo cable in the early 90's and use an electronic speedo and odometer (even though the speedo and odometer are still the analog type)?

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Can you get the sensors, etc., from the conversion van? If not, maybe you can find out who did the conversion & ask them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've got a '94 astro van... [chev equivillent of gm safari i'm sure you know] the dash is different than your sierra... but:

my recommendation: don't go for the digital dash, mine's been replaced twice [came stock] and i've heard they've never quite worked the bugs out of that one [i know of 3 ppl personally that have had the same troubles]

also, in my humble opinion... as far as digital goes, it is a lil easier to read some vitals like oil press and water temp since the orig analog cluster was so small...

but i'm sure most would agree that you can't replace analog... no one wants to tromp on the gas and watch a 7 segment LED spit out how fast their wheels are going... f#ck that sh!t

there's something about a needle's sweep that can't be replaced....

·
Registered
175 Posts
There's no replacement for anologue gauges, watching that tach climb when you put your foot into the throttle and here your engine rumble, man, you can't get that out of digital gauges...Even the ZR-1's lose that something when they have the digital gauge package:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts