Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am sure this has been discussed before but I was wondering if. . .

I have a bit of an issue with the brightness of my original 5 in 1 dash gauge in my '49 ford coupe.

The wire is hooked up to the light switch in the location it meant for (says dash under the terminal). The wire that houses the lights is in series with no ground wire. I am assuming that the bulb housing is what grounds the circuit. When I first bought the car the dash lights were not working at all. I looked at the gauge from behind the dash and saw one bulb housing was out of the area it should be clipped into. So I took all the housings out of the clips and found one bulb that was broken. I replaced all the bulbs with brand new ones clipped them into the gauge as they should be and I had some very very very dim light. So dim I had to have pitch black to even see that there was some lighting in the gauge. It seems to be all 5 lights that are not working as they should. The only part to my 5 in 1 gauge that is hooked up is the Speedometer which I hooked up just last weekend.
I am guessing that this dim light issue is not normal.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trouble I was having was with the coloured caps that are a part of the original gauge. They look like they are a thick black light glass that over time has darkened. I could either get new ones that are not so dark and switch them, or I could take them out and put coloured bulbs in. case closed!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Is the wiring original? Sounds a little crazy, but if 1 broken bulb prevented all the bulbs from working, maybe it's wired in series? Would explain the dim lights as each bulb would getting less than 2 volts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fixed the issue.

it was the old purple-ish black light bulb covers that had darkened over time to the point where hardly any light was able to pass through at all. I removed them and presto. . . too much light now lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.