Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cab anyone give me the original dimension that i posted with the photo on the original 48 chevy fleetline. From the floor up. I need this bad, and i have looked everywhere and cant find it. Its one i forgot to write down when i startes on my project. Thanks. Mrwood.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
MRwood; I can't give you the exact dimension right now but sometime this week I'll get it for you. What look are you after. As of right now it looks about 2 inches too high at least. I can send you some pics if you want them of a couple aerosedans. Let me know.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
46chevyfleetline said:
MRwood; I can't give you the exact dimension right now but sometime this week I'll get it for you. What look are you after. As of right now it looks about 2 inches too high at least. I can send you some pics if you want them of a couple aerosedans. Let me know.
Yes want to get it down another 2". Last night i got it it down to 10", thats why i need that dimension, as i think im close. Some pics may help. Thanks for your help.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
Why is it you need the original height? Are you restoring it? If you are rodding it, who cares what the original height was, put it where it looks good.

Brian

·
Registered
244 Posts
MRwood; Martin is absolutely correct. I see that you are not using the original rear end. I can't tell if you are using the original front suspension that would be good to know. The aerosedan I feel looks the best if it is the same height from front to back.Let me know what suspension you are using.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im using an S10 rear end, but im using the stock front suspension all rebuilt with shorter coil springs, and power disk brakes. Im not trying to go to low, just wanted it at least 4" below stock.I still have ways of lowering the front so it looks the same from the side. This is the first and last custom style car i will ever get built, and im no pro at it, but i have done everything on it myself, and im handicapped, so im kind of proud of myself. But thats why i came to this site for all the help i may need. I think i have the rear where i want it to be, anyway it looks good to me. Thats why i wanted the stock hight, so i could see just how far i have come down so far. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
244 Posts
MrWood; It may be another day or two before I have the measurements for you. There is a fellow in Vermont that has a freshly restored 47. He thinks he's got the measurements at home but if not he's going to head over to where he stores it and get them off the car. Hold tight, we'll get ya fixed up.

John

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here's some measurements straight from GM. The first three aren't really going to be of help to ya but the fourth one will give you an idea.

Ground to under front spring seats is 8 1/4"
Ground to under exhaust pipe is 7 1/4"
Ground to under differential is 7 7/8"
Ground to front door step is 15 3/4"

Note the measurement for the exhaust pipe is taken from the location at the hanger just in front of the left rear wheel.
When Ken gets over to storage he will get me some ground to frame measurements. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Awesome Car love to chat! i have a 48 Fleetline aswell! might not want to go off mine it only has 2"s of ground clearance i personally am running an air ride system by air ride pro my car is in mock up now and it is sitting at its lowest point to where it will clear and still roll, sounds like you have a pretty cool hot rod going there love to learn more about it mine has a narrowed 9" ford rear and beleive it or not a 75 AMC pacer front end with rack and disc great set up minimal welding and cutting wheels fit perfect for set up, lol great project love to see more photos name s George

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
I want a 46 grill so bad i love the sad looking face it has oh by the way you have a front splash pan behind the front bumper, like to get another mine is cut for the fog lights like 2 -2" holes in it i could fill it but thought maybe i would get another only thing is mines in really good shape may have to just fill this one hell filled ten million holes already whats another few and i think im going to fill my key holes aswell and leave handles of course! good looking car 46! love to see more of it

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PRO 48 fleetline said:
Awesome Car love to chat! i have a 48 Fleetline aswell! might not want to go off mine it only has 2"s of ground clearance i personally am running an air ride system by air ride pro my car is in mock up now and it is sitting at its lowest point to where it will clear and still roll, sounds like you have a pretty cool hot rod going there love to learn more about it mine has a narrowed 9" ford rear and beleive it or not a 75 AMC pacer front end with rack and disc great set up minimal welding and cutting wheels fit perfect for set up, lol great project love to see more photos name s George
I have been keeping an eye on your project, much better than mine, as i have to go low dollor. I would like to go with the air ride, but cant afford that system, so im just trying to get it to the point that i like. Cant wait to see your car finnished. I have a journal going, you can find it in the journal section under anyoldchevy. To me you guys really know what your doing, and i admire that. Thanks for all the kind words about my little project, as this car means everything to me and due to my health will be the last one i will ever get done. I pray everyday that the lord just lets me get this car done so i can show it off just one time. This site has so much talent to show that it just blows my mind.I hope you all keep your dreams going, and please dont ever give up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great to hear people like yourself keep this hobbie wheres it suppose to be in the heart and having fun building and its not the car so much as the destination and the knowledge of the journey getting these things finished, i have a few other hot rods finished but this one will be much more custom, cant wait to continue the chat and good luck with your health take care heres a few more photos for you have all you want to look at whats the site your speaking of the anyoldchevy site?

A little about cars mods you probably noticed the welded fenders to the body and all the trim holes welded up and filled plan on one peice smoothing the firewall and no the car will not be Green lol leaning towards a burgundy pearl color! the front end is all steel and turned into a tilt front end for easy of working on motor and plan on opening the top of the hood for shows, like a mercury custom um interior will be a one off custom design, designed around a 57 chevy truck gauge cluster with dakota digtial gauges and plans for a clean roll cage aswell, also american salt flat wheels everything now is in mock up no need to get paint on new wheels lol so alot to do but getting there lol with Christmas and a new baby on the way soon been busy hear in the house, cant wait till the holidays are over so i can back at it I'd
feel a little guilty buying 2,000 $$ heads for my motor and not a new baby bed lol take care

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What i meant was to click on Project Journals and on the left side you can find and click on anyoldchevy. That will take you to my journal that has all my build photos. Also are you going with the one piece windsheild, if so where are getting it from. I cant find any for the fleetline aerosedan. I thought the one for the 2dr sedan would fit, but i must be wrong. I look at your car about everyday as i just love the looks of it. At least you know what your doing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
MrWood; "All" the glass is different for the aerosedan. The side vent frames and garnish moldings. The Aerosedan is a stand alone model. Front sheet metal and rear fenders are interchangeable. Rear deck lid and doors are not.If the one piece for a sedan is not tempered then you can take it to a glass company and get it cut. Just make sure you treat the back window like a golden egg cause if you break it it will cost ya big time. Haven't got the measurements yet.

John

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good to know about the rear window i just through mine on the floor.......syke lol no mine came out real nice and all my window trim is in great shape just need a little rubbing to get to show quality but as for the front window there is a company making the one piece fronts there pretty pricey may look into getiting one built for it if not just bite the bullet and get a piece from them not sure of the companys name as i sit here talked to them at Goodguys and i think it was like $600 or so as of now i am trying to get an engine lift here so i can get my motor and tranny in for mock up and test fit headers plan on running the fender well headers and run exaust on the outside of frame up tight! so waiting on a few things still. this ? thing is great with other people who know what there talking about! and actually have the same car rock on!

·
Registered
244 Posts
MrWood ; Here's the measurements you are after. The distance from the ground to bottom of front of frame.(by stabilizer) 16 1/4"
From ground to bottom of rear of frame 17 1/2".
Hope these help you out.
Oh by the way. These measurements are taken with 6:00x16" tires on them.(Stock Tires)
PRO 48 I haven't forgot you just been really busy and haven't got to storage to take some pics for ya. Coming soon. :thumbup:

Cheers!!! and Merry Christmas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.