Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Doc,

I read with interest and appreciate the knowledgeable information that you share on this site.

Can you provide me with a supplier for the correct p-n junction diode required for use in a GM wiring system?

I purchased mine from Mark Hamilton, (MAD Electrical) some time ago, and have tried without success to contact him. His phone rings but no answer. I have been searching the web for a couple of days without success. I can find some diodes, but am not sure of which one is the correct application. There seem to be several available with different amp and voltage ratings. Your advice will be valued and appreciated.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

What is the diode to be used for (what application)?

To determine the diode selection you need to know how much current you will be dealing with..and be sure the reverse current won't crowbar (reverse bias) the diode..

For most low or small current applications , a 1N4001 is a good choice, at rat shak for about a buck..as the wattage gets higher, more current handling, the diode gets fatter..

So need to have an idea of the current of your circuit before I can give you a number..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Doc,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry that I wasn't specific with my query. The diode is used to prevent "engine run-on" and is installed in the brown wire from the alternator.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Doc,

Now if I can get out, (we are in the midst of an ice storm), will try to get somewhere to find said item.

You are a great help here on this site!

·
MOPAR Guy
186 Posts
jray said:
Radio Shack should have that diode....common part.
Yes, Radio Shack should have a 1N4001, 1N4002, 1N4004, 1N4006, 1N4008. They are all interchangeable with the 1N4001. (The last digit in the part number specifies the maximum voltage the component can take. In this series at least.)

For any electronic component my favorite suppliers are Jameco (www.jameco.com) or DigiKey (www.digikey.com), if your local Radio Shack doesn't have them. (Also, at Radio Shack you will be paying about ten times the real price of the part. :evil: )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.