Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SBC 350
What would cause a dip stick to bend at the bottom? It shouldn't be close to anything that would catch it. The motor is running strong with no noises. I noticed it had a bend in it the other day but I figured it was my fault due to the location of the dipstick and I forced it into the tube. But this morning about an inch of the dipstick is missing and the end of it is bent like something has been hitting it.
I will drain the oil and see if its stuck to the magnet on the dipstick. If not I guess I will have to drop the pan. @#$%^%

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the right length. But this is in a Fiero and its a cheap knockoff. Its flat and has no twists in it like an OEM stick. What I think happened is I have to put a pretty good arc in it to get it to go in the dip stick tube and it must have bent the end of it too much. Could the orientation of the tube cause this?
I have a stick from a different engine in there now, it has several twists in it and it wont bend like the other one. I did have to cut it down because it was for a different engine so I just put it beside a known good one.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a 1970s SBC 350. If your standing in "front" of the motor the dipstick is on the right hand side. Shouldn't there be an internal tube to keep the stick from hitting the counterweight?
I may just keep the stick out and store it in the trunk for now. I will cut the bent one down to keep water out of the tube. I cant drop the pan without pulling a lot of parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.