Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if I've got my understanding of '70's Ford Motor Company disc brakes right and my plan is good. For this car I plan on doing something I've done once before, take a front spindle, hub and brake caliper, bracket and disc from a 1970's Ford. Except when I did this before I bought spindles off Ebay... which I could do, but getting parts from a junk yard is its own fun and I've got one I like to go to and the pricing scheme is usually that I collect a pile of parts, the owner takes a look, asks a few questions, thinks about it and says $100. Might be a windshield. Or a transmission. Or a pile of stainless steel trim... pretty much always seems to be $100.

Anyway, I'm generally aware of several aspects of this plan. I'm going to get all the parts from the junkyard, but I'll most likely be buying new rotors, bearings, calipers, pads and hoses anyway and what I acquire will be used to cover the core charge if applicable, and what I need are the spindle and caliper bracket. The fun will be in lifting a vehicle parked on dirt enough to pull components which may be in said dirt and hoping I can separate the balljoints using a picklefork, sledgehammer and the tension on the joint from the vehicle spring, or alternatively bringing an acetylene torch and hoping the release of tension is not violent enough to cause injury because unless I can cart myself out I might not be found... I'm getting side tracked...

In general the balljoints of the 1955 Ford/Mercury suspension tend to approximately mean swapping the spindle in is pretty much a bolt on deal. The upper taper is enough different that the threads won't quite let you put a cotter pin through the castle nut, but grinding down the spindle 1/8" takes care of that. Same caliper gets used. 1970's FoMoCo seem to tend to use the same spindle, but there are differences of rotor size and wheel pattern, so that difference is found in the hub and drum and the caliper bracket.

For 1955 Ford used a 5x4.5" bolt pattern and Mercury used 5x5. I'm content to switch to 5x4.5" since I'm also planning to grab a Ford Ranger rear axle from this same junkyard and it has 5x4.5.

I'm pretty sure there's more than what's on this list, but out of what I photographed from previous trips this summer it looks like the candidates are:
1972 Ford Gran Torino station wagon
1973 Lincoln Continental
1977 Ford Thunderbird

I'm leaning towards the Tbird, muchly because the engine is pulled and the wheels are still on so it looks like it's easier to jack up.

Of course if I've misidentified the year correct me if I'm wrong, I'm guessing I have it close enough for parts identification purposes.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
one of the guys who used to post a lot on ford stuff heds up a group of ford merc builders on the HANB FORUM. I forget his name.

·
True Hotrodder
1,722 Posts
I can't help on the parts stuff but I would be taking a torch to the T-Bird. It's the easiest of the bunch. Cut the coils in a couple of places and then cut through the a-arms and steering links. You should be able to then roll each assembly out to a cleaner area and remove anything you don't want to pay for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts