Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
Im currently building up a 307 Chevy with a mild cam, 416 cast 305 heads and an edelbrock intake. I happened to be on craigslist and found a Mallory Unlite distributor that this guy had on his 406 sbc. He only want's $100 for it and I was thinking about getting it. Do you guys think this would be worth picking up for being as cheap as it is? Would it even work with my application?

Thanks,
Martin

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
MOST Unilite Mallory's being sold have a bad light source. SO, make sure you get a gaurantee that the thing works. If it does work, it will be an excellant distrib for your application. (keep a spare LED in the glove box)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply...yeah im thinking that is prob something that is wrong with it (probably one of many things considering its only $100). I was searching for replacement LED's but couldn't find any on summit or jegs. I know a decent amount about engines themselves, but some of this electrical stuff is new to me. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could find a replacement one if i decided to pick this distributor up?

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
Mallory refers to the LED as a "module", and they are very finicky as to voltage and amperage, and seem to blow out if you look at them wrong. From a long time racers stand point, the Unilite is a POS, the basic distributor body, shaft, gear, and advance are good pieces and if you could pick one up at a yard sale for $20 I'd say get it and add a Pertronix Ignitor magnetic trigger conversion, then you'd have a reliable piece. $100, NO WAY- a new ready to run performance HEI is only $20 more and foolproof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.