Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of putting a new intake and carb on my sbc, im putting the distributor back in now and i get it almost all the way down but theres about a 2 or 3 mm gap between the intake and the dist. i dont know if that normal or that means the oil pump shaft isnt lined up. its a HEI dist. should there be no gap?

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
It is the oil pump drive that is not aligned with the distributor. It should drop in flush, with no gap.

If you did not turn the engine over with the distributor removed, it should drop back in all of the way, if not you may be off one tooth, either way in starting to align the distributor gear in the camshaft.

If you are sure number 1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke, and you are dropping the distributor in with the rotor pointing to the number one wire. You can have someone bump the engine over, while you push down on the distributor until it drops onto the oil pump drive. It should be close enough to be able to set your timing.

Keep in mind as the distributor drops in farther the rotor is also going to turn more giving it more advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
carsavvycook said:
It is the oil pump drive that is not aligned with the distributor. It should drop in flush, with no gap.

If you did not turn the engine over with the distributor removed, it should drop back in all of the way, if not you may be off one tooth, either way in starting to align the distributor gear in the camshaft.

If you are sure number 1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke, and you are dropping the distributor in with the rotor pointing to the number one wire. You can have someone bump the engine over, while you push down on the distributor until it drops onto the oil pump drive. It should be close enough to be able to set your timing.Keep in mind as the distributor drops in farther the rotor is also going to turn more giving it more advance.
+11111111111111111111111111111

·
Registered
121 Posts
check the oil pump shaft, sometimes they will lean so they are not vertical. If leaning first turn the shaft so the slot will line up with the dist. shaft then with a little bearing grease prop it up so it sits straight.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
techinspector1 said:
"then with a little bearing grease prop it up so it sits straight."

See, you have to be at least 66 to know some of these things. :thumbup:

I was told this as a teenager, helping an old family friend rebuild, and install the engine in his wifes car. :thumbup:

I was told this by one of his racing buddies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.