Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
u might rember when i posted my problems with my truck not starting. i got new plugs and wires, new distributor,cap,rotar, and coil and it still wont start we have cheacked and double checked the top dead center can anybody put spme helpfull tips on how to get started it would be nice thanks zach

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Is there 12 volts going to the coil with the ignition switch on? Red wire on side of Dist cap....It is HEI, is it not?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Run a jumper wire directly from the battery to the "BATT" terminal on the HEI distributer..then try to start it. If it fires and runs, you have a bad wire from the Ignition switch OR a bad switch.

You will have to disconnect the jumper wire to STOP the engine, as your switch is bypassed in this test mode.

If it won't fire, then likely suspects are the coil, the Magnetic pickup or the module.

NEW parts come right from the box DEAD...quite commonly..don't rule out any replaced parts, AND don't just throw parts at it without testing first..you'll likely end up with a non running engine with a bunch of parts you didn't need and a big repair bill.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
docvette said:
Doc here, :pimp:

Run a jumper wire directly from the battery to the "BATT" terminal on the HEI distributer..then try to start it. If it fires and runs, you have a bad wire from the Ignition switch OR a bad switch.

You will have to disconnect the jumper wire to STOP the engine, as your switch is bypassed in this test mode.
FIRST try that, See if it starts, IF not then go on to the Below,:

docvette said:
If it won't fire, then likely suspects are the coil, the Magnetic pickup or the module.
You can have the module tested at auto zombie for free, you can Ohms test the coil, less than an ohm but more than 000 on the primary, and 6,000 to 30,000 on the secondary for it to be good, and the Magnetic pickup can be ohm'ed out (you'll have to look up the value for your year truck, there are two, so much for all below a certain year, and another above that year.)

Doc :pimp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts