Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change 1988 Ford F350 w 351w over to carb system due to my lack of faith in the computerised efi system. my question is which distributor to use- msd, mallory, etc. i would like to have self contained hei- no box type. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks and happy holidays to all jd

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
switchover

First off, I dont recommend changing over but if you are adament about it, go with a complete Davis Unified Ignition set up, Sold under the handle if DUI. The EFI is far more accurate than is a carb and conventional distributor, and capable of a lot more power within the curve.
Have you given thoughts to what carburetion, intake, etc?
I would recommend an intake thats designed for the 0-5500,6000 RPM range and go with a 600 CFM carb. Weiand Action Plus and Edelbrock Performer are the intakes you should look at.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/09/DUIdistributor/index.php

Check this link for a lot of good info on the DUI.

This is the link for the manufacturer

http://www.performancedistributors.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
change over efi v carb

I appreciate your feedback- my main reason for change is not necessarily anti fuel injection so much as is anti computer- my truck is an ex Bell telephone rig- sold to Stahl as rolling chassis- there is some confusion due to conflicting #'s located on vehicle concerning equipment eg c6 vrs a4od trans etc.- have installed new computer along w every sensor etc on truck- there are just to many symptoms etc that appear- not only to me but to a couple of very experienced ford mechanics- that will be taken care of by this change- again thanks for the reply and merry christmas jd:)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Sounds like

you have a work truck with a Stahl tool body and want reliability most.

I would think about a good rebuilt stock points model (NAPA?) for $50-60. Buy a Pertronix conversion kit for $60 (no brains required).

Half the cost of a MSD Mallory etc which are designed for excellent/better performance at high RPM.

........................................................................................................

Nah, get a complete MSD system and the Edelbrock Performer RPM package, add headers.......FASTEST WORK TRUCK IN TOWN!

and give it a little sniff of nitreous in case you come up against a Viper........

Merry Xmas to all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.