Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 3.1 Pontiac v-6 I am installing it in a Cub Cadet garden tractor. I am using a 2.8 distributor trying to get rid of the computer. I have a 4 wire plug coming from the distributor and a 2 wire plug that goes to the coil. Can anyone tell me if I can hook this thing up to 12 volts somehow without using a computor?

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Attaboy, go big or go home!!!!! :thumbup:

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you how I would approach it. I'd start with a junkyard V6 HEI, gut the distributor you have and swap the HEI stuff into it. Then, you have only one wire to hook up to 12v.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
what year? how old?

got a pic?

if its fuel injected one then you definitely need an ECM to run the ignition along with crank sensor and possibly also cam sensor depnding on the year etc

i assume you have carb one since it has a distrib though haha

still need to see the distrib to know what one you have

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
DavidR said:
I'm working on a 3.1 Pontiac v-6 I am installing it in a Cub Cadet garden tractor. I am using a 2.8 distributor trying to get rid of the computer. I have a 4 wire plug coming from the distributor and a 2 wire plug that goes to the coil. Can anyone tell me if I can hook this thing up to 12 volts somehow without using a computor?
If the distributor does not have a vacuum advance canister, it will not work without the computer. It sounds like you have a computer controlled distributor. Soryy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.