Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
I am not sure what the 85s are like, but does the 85 have computer controled advance, or is there a vacuum hose to the distributer from the carb?

With the 78 distributer, you need a vacuum line to operate the vacuum acvance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
rebelbill1972 said:
on my 1985 305 I,m going to swap the stock coil with a coil off a1978 model so I can do away with the computer. Are there any other must do things for this to work?
I don't think the coil has anything to do with whether are not the distributor is computer controlled. Don't the HEI distributors for computer controlled engines lack an advance mechanism? Seems it would be better just to swap the entire '78 distributor into the '85.

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
poncho62 said:
I am not sure what the 85s are like, but does the 85 have computer controled advance, or is there a vacuum hose to the distributer from the carb?

With the 78 distributer, you need a vacuum line to operate the vacuum acvance.
The only difference I know of is supposed to be some electronics, there is already vaccum to the stock dist.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
the coil has nothing to do with it

the ECM controleld HEI has an extra wiring harness plug with four wires, flat connector, on the passenger side of the housing, as installed in the vehicle

good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
distributor swap update

Ok now that I have the distributor in my paw, as mentioned before by fast68, the only difference on the distributor I picked up (from a 77' suburban) and the one in my 86' C-10 is the wiring harness on the passenger side(that I assume goes to the ECM, I haven't had a chance to chase it yet).

I was told to install the 77' dist and unplug the 2 wire connector on the front of the carb. does this sound right? What about the electronic choke? Will it still function without the ECM? Also, will I need to make any adjustment to the carb or should I plan on replacing it?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Since it is carbed, all you need do is install the Dizzy, and plug the Ignition wire from the old coil into the "BATT" terminal...Check to be sure it is not a resistance wire,or have a ballast on it, and If you have a Tach, it goes into the plug marked "Tach"..that's it..

The Electric choke gets power from the alternator Field through a relay inside the car..If it is unmolested, changing the dizzy will effect nothing in that circuit.

IF you are doing away with the computer , You need to get a Q~Jet that is non computer compatible..(pre~80's), While the computer carb may run, It will get lousy gas mileage, perform badly , and stink from raw fuel just sitting..

Doc :pimp:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.