Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
byrddogg65
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing a Mallory unilite with a new HEI distributor. The unilite has a 4 wire hook up and the HEI only takes 1 wire. All the wire have been spliced into and extended at some point. How do I find the constant 12v ignition wire? That is the wire I need to hook up to my new dist. 1968 Chevy Chevelle. Thanks for any help. Jason.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
you don't want the constant 12v..... you want the switched 12v. Orig color was pink? I really don't remember but I think it was pink or black. Use a 12v test light to find the right wire.

·
byrddogg65
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a wire that was hooked up to my unilite. It actually had 2 wires going into 1. It had power when the key was in the run and start position. I hooked it up and it will not start. Not even a pop. I separated the 2 wires and hooked up each 1 at a time, still no start. Is this the correct wire with power when key is in start and in run position?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Yes that should be it. Did yo make sure the coil contact was clean and had the spring installed under the cap? Is the ground wire hooked up? It also might be the ing module that's under the rotor plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.