Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a used 1977 350 SB 4bm 76,000m stock. swapped aluminum intake manifold, carb, headers, w/ same distributor. I have the #1 cyl on the comp. stroke and timing mark on the 8. The distributor does not go all the down in the correct position facing the #1 signal from the distributor. I can turn it and it will go down but It's not in the correct position. The oil pump seems to ingage (it moves pretty easy) but it does not drop in. Could the problem be the cam position or am I on the right timing mark to drop it in correctly? Word of mouth was to use a pry bar and bump the cam inside where the distributor goes in to engage the distributor correctly.(scarey) or hold down the distributor and bump the ign. until it falls.

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
Put a screwdriver down the distributor hole and turn the oil pump shaft to the right position. That's all it can be.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Poncho is correct. All you have to do is turn the oil pump shaft to the location needed to engage the distributor when it's pointing in the correct direction. You'll need a long regular screw driver.

Also, please read the rules. The introduction forum is for introductions not questions. You'll stand a much better chance getting questions answered when they're posted in the correct forums where people with that expertise spend most of their time.

Welcome aboard.

Centerline

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Just dont drop anything down that hole in the process :D

You'll never hear the end of it from those standing around "helping".

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
put the distributor in in the corect position, then put the hold down on it so that it puts a slight downward pressure on the distributor. Bump the motor over until it goes in the slot!

Works every time, eliminates screwing around with the screwdriver all day-

K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts