Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some solid advice on a dis./ing. set-up. im looking for a reasonably priced set-up and it gets kind of confusing.i would like an hei distributor,and a box that is simple to configure and use. a rev-limiter is also in order,if that helps. what kind of mix and matching can i do for a decent price? i have a somewhat built 283,daily driver(pends'on the day),good performance is a must. what do you guys think? :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
cardaddyo said:
i need some solid advice on a dis./ing. set-up. im looking for a reasonably priced set-up and it gets kind of confusing.i would like an hei distributor,and a box that is simple to configure and use. a rev-limiter is also in order,if that helps. what kind of mix and matching can i do for a decent price? i have a somewhat built 283,daily driver(pends'on the day),good performance is a must. what do you guys think? :confused:
You could try something like this from MSD. It's a replacement "under cap" module with a Rev Limiter. http://www.msdignition.com/dist_82.htm

If you insist on the HEI distributor, To better up one notch, I'd get an MSD 6AL box and the MSD conversion cap with the round external coil including the plug wires.
Don't use Accel IMO.
Don't mix and match aftermarket parts if you can help it. My friend swear's by Mallory. He ran different brand coil's with his Mallory stuff one year and kept frying Them. Finally got the Mallory coil again and all was well. He uses a Mallory Dist.

Also, better coil's are useless without the proper module. Semi-technically speaking, the module controls how long the coil gets energized for the harder hit/spark etc. etc. etc.
Unlike the link above, The 6AL box and other boxes ARE the module so the HEI's original under cap module would be bypassed/eliminated.

The MSD 6AL's have chips that just plug in like a fuse for different MAX RPM'S.
Mallory's have micro switches built into them to adjust the RPM limiter.

Hope this help's
Dave

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

ALSO... On any coil upgrade..A HP Coil is totally useless , Unless you upgrade the ignition wire feeding it..

The BIGGEST error guy's make is upgrade a coil to a HP , and spend $800 on a performer ignition , only to find it runs no better than stock..the reason..

It is running off a 12 ga wire, that is getting "warm, or HOT" because the current is being converted to "Heat" and doing No useful work. Your Feed wire should be 10 gauge.

A stock coil (according to ohms law..) pulls about 20 amps.max boogie..a Performance coil pulls upward of about 40 amps..the result is the power wire is under-matched and converts the power to heat, and starves the coil.

My nickels worth..

Doc :pimp:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts