Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this post should be here or electrical. I don't have room for an HEI in my SBC so I tried a Speedmaster. Module died after a few runs in the garage. Never got to the street. Second one did the same. Any suggestions on what to replace this junk with?

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
Beats me I’ve been running the PCE 7000 for 6 years. It has had two failures one module, my fault I left it with the power on but engine not running for 15-20 minutes chasing a wifey go do. The other is the vacuum advance diaphragm ruptured last fall, that happens.

Bogie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure if this post should be here or electrical. I don't have room for an HEI in my SBC so I tried a Speedmaster. Module died after a few runs in the garage. Never got to the street. Second one did the same. Any suggestions on what to replace this junk with?
MSD makes a small cap ready to run unit. They have a EBAY store that sometimes sells refurbs at a discount.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Make sure on the control module that your using heat sink compound like the kind you would use on a PC computer chip as using dielectric grease or any other type of compound will not allow the module to keep cool and dissipate heat well enough and it will cause it to overheat and die out fast. Many time I have seen that on the HEI distributors I have gotten they have used either dielectric grease or something similar and my modules would not last long at all.

I don't know what the control modules look like in the small cap style distributors but if they are similar like the ones in a large cap HEI make sure you get some of the stuff in a tube. Check ebay and you can find a lot of it. I carry a spare tube with me in my truck and an extra control module and eventually a cap and rotor and coil just in case. Stuff nowadays it seems its a crap shot if you can get one to last or not regardless of brand.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
MSD 8360 with internal module
MSD 8361 without module. For use with MSD 6, 7, and 8 series external ignition boxes.
Not cheap but rarely fail if properly installed.

Here's an inexpensive points replacement kit that has a reputation of being very reliable. It was a Crane product for years, but FAST bought that part of their product line.

·
Registered
432 Posts
More info on car, carb or fuel injection ?

Reason I ask is if you wanted to go fuel injection sniper as well as other sell complete setups injection unit with distributor, this allows one computer to control fuel and spark control.

You wind up with basically a mid 90s GM set up but in a simple package, most require an O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor installed. Along with clean wiring.

It’s an option not a must

1 - 6 of 6 Posts