Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nova front end........Outer tierods I replaced and now wheel rubs frame when I turn 1 way not the other....Ok,I missed the count when reinstalling ends......one tie rod end is completely "screwed" No adjustment??? When I raise truck to adjustment so wheels turn r to L....it is not the same when I lower??? SO how do I start over?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
diy aglinement "Gone Bad"

Nova front end........Outer tierods I replaced an attemped toe in.... now wheel rubs frame when I turn 1 way not the other....Ok,I missed the count when reinstalling ends......one tie rod end is completely "screwed" No adjustment??? When I raise truck to adjust so wheels turn r to L....it is not the same when I lower??? SO how do I start over?
is there a way to center my steering?I have steering wheel in lock... wheels straight at all times????

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
steering centering

You should be able to turn the steering one side to the other and count the turns, then center the steering gear, put the steering wheel on straight , then adjust the tie rods to give correct toe in, wheels straight ahead and not rub one side.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,743 Posts
I just went through this with my Maverick. Put it up on jackstands, measure the distance from the inner edge of a tire to the frame rail at full lock one way, then compare that to the same measurement on the other side at opposite lock. Now adjust the rod-ends so those distances are the same while watching how many threads are showing on each rod-end, they should be close to equal. You will also have to take your toe-in into account. I found it easier to disregard the toe and center the wheels first, then adjust the toe-in by making equal moves on both rod-ends until it was right.

Russ

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
toe loaded

Just be sure the wheels are on the ground, bounce it a couple times to set toe, as a teenager I made the mistake of having the car up in the air, scrubbed the rubber very fast. I had set toe on the roadster with a beam axle up in the air. you can't do that with IFS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.