Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember 20 or so years ago, there was trend to have these DIY auto centers, where a person could go, rent a space to work on their cars. They also had all the tools that you would need, I imagine at an extra cost. I hadn't heard about these places for years until now.

A new member on one of my Groups told me that he owns one of these places in the Cincinatti area. By the looks of his website, it is geared more toward bodywork etc, he also has a spray booth.

Has anyone here ever used one of these places and what is your experience with them? Was it worth the money that it costs? Did you feel safe leaving your car there? etc, etc......What do you say?

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Poncho, A friend of mine and his wife owned a shop like that here quite awhile ago, like early 80's. It was great for quite awhile and didn't seem to have any problems with theft or anything but then it just kinda died out. But like i said that was quite awhile ago.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats when I remember them.......they seemed to die out. I was suprised when I heard about this new one.......Maybe, the idea will revive itself.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The DIY Garage concept died out mostly because of insurance problems. There were many accidents, claims and legal problems because of them for the guys who operated the facilities. Theft was a concern but mostly from burglary rather than customers.

You can imagine the progressive nightmare of dealing with people who didn't know what they were doing, how to handle tools and equipment and the horrible and sometimes humorous situations these guys got themselves into, like looking up from the toolroom counter to find a guy holding a loose finger in his hand and asking for the first aid kit, OH YEAHHHHHH!

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
I understand why they can't exist in today's world with everyone being sue happy, but it would be great for us gear heads. Especially the paint and body area. A real paint booth would be awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.