Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has been bugging me for a while now on my build and I'm getting to the point where I need crap or get off the pot.

Background:

383 motor, flat-tops
Edel Performance RPM Air-Gap
Comp aluminum heads with 64cc chambers and 210 runners, 2.02/1.6 valves
Comp roller cam, 270/276 duration, .495/.502 lift
T5 tranny
8.8" rearend - gearing TBD
curb weight when I'm all done: 2800 pounds(ish)

I've got a manual Carter AFB 625 CFM carb and I'm worried that I might not have enough carb for this setup. Thoughts? I am not going to blow or boost the motor, and no towing (it's a '66 Volvo), but she will see a little hobby strip time.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
If your engine setup was brought to me for power tuning, that 625 CFM would have to go. I would use a 750 CFM, for the additional flow characteristics, and additional fuel enrichment for the air gap manifold, camshaft, and cylinder heads.

I also recommend a 3.73 rear gear ratio, for your engine/transmission combo. You are going to be putting out a good amount of torque, and you don't want to twist that 383 stroker beyond it's power band.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
carsavvycook said:
If your engine setup was brought to me for power tuning, that 625 CFM would have to go. I would use a 750 CFM, for the additional flow characteristics, and additional fuel enrichment for the air gap manifold, camshaft, and cylinder heads.

I also recommend a 3.73 rear gear ratio, for your engine/transmission combo. You are going to be putting out a good amount of torque, and you don't want to twist that 383 stroker beyond it's power band.

I have to agree ..... :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.