Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a power mustang II rack that I'll be mating to a late model gm column. I don't have much room at the rack input shaft, so the stock rag joint wont work. Is it really nessesary to have a rag joint, or will I have vibration in the wheel without it? Also, can the joint be located at the column end instead?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
steering joints

Borgeson makes some small u joints for this app..and yup probably need them to absorb misalignment in the steering column..Most of the online speed shops carry the things so they should be available easily..common issue to have little or no clearance on the steering shaft..You are not alone on this one..:welcome:

It may be necessary to tweak the install a bit to get it all in there..:thumbup:

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
good question

If you look at where the steering column shaft attaches to the steering box (on most cars) you will see a joint that has a sort of heavy fabric washer in the middle of it..

These joints do a couple of things..One is that they absorb any varience in shaft angularity and two they absorb vibration that may be transmitted up the steering shaft to the steering wheel..

Since they have this "fabric" in the middle of them they are called "rag joints" This fabiric material is a multi ply material similar to that used in the construction of tires or heavy conveyor belting..

Probably more than you wanted to know..:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.