Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching through old posts trying to find out if i need a regulator on my 408ci sbc. I have a 750 race style proform carb. and a carter M4891 strip super series mechanical fuel pump that is rated at 7 to 8.5 psi. Its a 3900# street car with a 500 lift cam and dart pro1 platinum heads. Thanks,Ken

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Generally, a mechanical pump will not produce enough pressure to overwhelm a needle and seat. Electric fuel pumps put out more pressure. I would say no......

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
No modern 4-barrel carburetor needs over 5 psi pressure at the carb inlet. You could run a 1,000 hp motor with 5 psi fuel pressure, so long as you have the VOLUME there to feed the motor.

More pressure can overload the needle and seat and blow raw fuel into the intake manifold, presenting you with tuning nightmares. First, find out what the pressure is at the carb inlet. If it is excessive, get the pressure under control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.