Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

GRRR!
My once beautiful GMC truck fell victim to petit theft, in which the perps attacked both door handles with screwdrivers.

I've gotten two estimates, one for $600 and another for $800. I can't afford this in the near future.

I was thinking about shaving the door handles, and trying to do this repair myself. I have no experience and in my mind it seems to be easier to just shave them off, rather than attempt to return them to their original state.

So, I was just at Pep Boys and noticed how inexpensive the materials and tools were. Perhaps $50 (not including paint)? I saw an aluminum mesh with an adhesive backing that's ready to stuck and be bondo'd. As a complete newbie, what are my chances of making these things near perfect my first time out? I won't do the paint myself more than likely. As for the internal workings of the shaved door, would I be able to use the door lock motor as the door popper?

Any advice for my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Phillip

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Victim ]</p>

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Phillip, Have no fear I is here! Repairing your current predicament is easy. You don't need any of that value mart bondo. Never use that stuff unless your a mold or something cheap and just goofing off. It doesn't look from the pictures that you need any filler, just a bit of hammer work, two new handles and some touch up painting and your back to better than new. I can walk you through this with no problem, so just relax.
If your really considering shaved handles, its alot more work, but if your up for it I can help you out with that as well. Send me an e-mail and tell me what you have done before, or what are your skills and I'll be happy to help.

HK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey HalloweenKing, Thanks for your reply.

I'm not dead set on shaving the handles, especially if it would be more difficult.

Could you give me a step-by-step guide to hammering these dents out? Door handles are cheap, $50. The shrinking hammer I saw at PepBoys was cheap too. So this would be great if I could do this myself.

Let's assume that I have the interior door panels off, the door handles are out, and I have a metal shrinking hammer in hand. What do I do? What else do I need?

Thanks a bunch!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts