Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw somebody saying to call mondello performance in calif. for 394 olds parts. please do not!not!not!not! do bussiness with this guy He boned me 4 times on my olds stuff. Keep your hand on your wallet and run as fast as you can the opposite way. thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
cranky1 said:
Boned you 4 times? Bone me once, shame on you, bone me twice, shame on me.....

Mondello Performance Products is not run by Joe Mondello anymore(at least 10 years now), but the new operator wont tell you that. He sends the wrong parts(flat tappet cams with roller lifters, oops, by-by motor), and wont give refunds. He breaks shipments into multiple packages and overcharges on handling fees. Its possible to get screwed 4 times with one order, on top of the smooth talking sales job.

Theres plenty of other Olds suppliers around the country to get parts and advice from

Join the Olds performance sights, they all know about Mondello

·
Just stuck
435 Posts
FmrStrtracer said:
Its possible to get screwed 4 times with one order
I guess I don't understand that concept....to me, one order is one order no matter how many different parts come in it. If any of it comes in screwed up and they don't make it right, that's it for me and will not deal with that company again and won't order anymore parts until the original order has been taken care of.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
And thus ends the sterling lifelong reputation of one of the cornerstones of the hot rod and racing industries.

The current crop of speed seekers will grow up thinking Joe Mondello was a shyster and a charlatan. A sad commentary on a really great guy who dedicated his life to the betterment of the industry and the sport.

As I understand it, Joe is now operating Joe Mondello Technical School in Crossville, Tennessee, passing on his knowledge of engine building and cylinder head porting to students.

I thought for sure that his son, Bernard, would carry on the family banner at the old location, but apparently not so. I see that Bernard has a business called Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises in Corona, California and also has a store on ebay. My attempts at finding a valid website for him have failed.

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
I find it strange that Joe sold his name with the business. Such a flawless reputation to gamble with. Sad sad story. Joe is one of the finest people to ever grace the hot rod industry.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Amen -- I can only say by reputation. Joe (even when I was really young) was thought of as a god. Made J2s run really, really right.

Pat

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Mondello was one of THE olds guys back when I built my first engine (an Olds 350), its sad to see that he sold his name and now someone is running it into the ground. The man himself was a pretty stand up guy last I talked to him. Which has been a LONG time.

·
Registered
650 Posts
techinspector1 said:
I thought for sure that his son, Bernard, would carry on the family banner at the old location, but apparently not so. I see that Bernard has a business called Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises in Corona, California and also has a store on ebay. My attempts at finding a valid website for him have failed.
Bernard already had his own business up an running before Joe got out of his.

·
Registered
650 Posts
There are quite a few long term automotive businesses that are no longer run by the original owners. Keeping the name is crucial for the new owner to have a chance at staying open, but in many cases, the new owners start to skimp on quality to increase profits. Thats why its important to do some research before buying from any company.

Good hint, when you see an original owner open up a second shop after selling the first, its usually a sign that the new owner isnt up to par in the customer service department.

Art Carr Transmissions( Art does have a new Trans business he runs)
C&A(closed??)
Mondello
TCI(bought and sold several times)

Are just a couple of the companies I can think of that arent owned/operated by the original owners, the list goes on and on. Some of the new owners do a good job of maintaining quality and value, others dont, so always search before spending your money.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree-Don't Use Mondello In Paso Robles, CA

I ordered a set of valves from Mondello. They sent me two sets. I called and was told to send one set back and I'd get credited back so I Fed Ex'd one set back. Today I get an email saying they do not do refunds on returned parts, only credit the account for future purchases. So I got stuck paying them over 400 bucks instead of $200.00. My company will never use them again and I hope this post makes you aware of their practices.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Its a damn shame they're nothing but a bunch of liars and cheats now. Way back when they actually had a good business. Goes to show that anything can be ran into the ground with the right people managing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Unfortunately the real Joe Mondello passed away in 2011.
Danny Roslan of Roslan Performance in Paso Robles CA did a lot of Mondellos engine work before Joe passed.
Contact Danny at 805 235 1974 if you need Oldsmobile engine work.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Joe Mondello was born in Los Angeles on August 6, 1936 and passed away in Crossville, Tennessee on April 6, 2011.

We had a 355 CI Chevrolet NHRA Jr. Fuel Dragster with a Woody Gilmore chassis from 1969 through 1971. In 1966 our four man racing team, Maverick Racing, purchased a pair of "462" SB Chevy heads for our 355 Ci Chevy Jr. Fuel dragster which was equipped with large Enderle direct port fuel injection wich was class rules for Jr. Fuel at the time. The engine was a new 1966 327 CI block and crankshaft, with M/T aluminum rods, that was bored and stroked to 355 CI. If we had waited one year, we could have bought a 350 CI engine fuel injected fitted block from GM with 4-bolt mains, but that is the way it goes. Anyway, a 4-bolt main block is not essential unless you have a blower. . We sent the 462 heads to Joe Mondello Head Service in California for inspection, porting and flow testing. Joe was the best person to work I ever had the pleasuire to do business with. His work on the Chevy heads helped put the Jr. Fuel dragster consistantly in mid 7 second ETs, with a best ET of 7.37 ET at Houma (New Orleans) Louisiana in 1970. Mondello Head Service cost Maverick Racing, $700 in 1968.

In 1996, Joe opened Mondello Technical School in Paso Robles California and taught performance engine building and instructed his students how interact with people. He later moved the school to Crossville Tennessee. He was in association with Carroll Shelby and the Cobra race cars in California.

Nice guy to work with.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I stand corrected on this one.

Maybe Mondello is paying attention to these posts because two days after I posted my complaint here, I received a letter saying my account was being credited for the extra set of valves and they were waiving the 20% restocking fee.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.