Votes: 5 12.8%
  • sometimes

Votes: 3 7.7%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
256 Posts
nope not really.. not on the street..
last time I had a nova 4 door retractor rip out of the pillar and skin my head..
I'll take my chances.. thanks..
track 5 point all the time..
my c-10 will get a 5 point at somepoint and yes I'll use it..
but vehicles with retractors up high.. I just don't trust anymore

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
EVERY TIME, I won't even move a car out of the lot to park on the street without putting them on. The odds say you are better off, and by golly I am going with the odds.

My Rambler didn't have them when I got it, before I drove it for the first time that was one of the last things I did, installed new belts.

Brian

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Here in Europe you have to or risk a fine and points on your licence.
Here in Spain twenty years ago you could drive sans belts in the town,
which was a pretty stupid way of thinking.
Most accidents they reckon happen close to home, either commencing a journey or arriving home.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
And my kids have always done it too, never ever have I had a kid crying about putting on the "Racing harness" that's what I called it. When taking my kids to the track I showed them the race cars inside and how they had "Racing harness" just like my kids did in our cars, they were very impressed. :D

Brian

·
Slow but willing learner
5,407 Posts
Always in the family cars. It is both a habit and the law. The hot rod in Tennessee does not require it if not factory equipped. While I do believe in them and agree I would be safer with them in the roadster, I don't feel terribly at risk without them. The motorcycle is way more dangerous and my wife and I both love to ride. Life is full of calculated risks.

John L

·
Banned
385 Posts
i usually do. The only time i don't is when it's cold---this way i can hunch over---it's more comfortable this way. When everything gets warmed up then i put it on.

i know this is probably not right, but you asked and i'm giving you the straight answer.

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
Seat Belts are second nature now. i just do it.
Air bags are nice. When a customer says his air bag light is on, and asks: should I fix it? My answer is : It only has to work once to be worth it.

·
Administrator
18,646 Posts
My 51 just has a lap belt......In the minivan, I automatically buckle up, same in the work van....Seems in my truck, I tend to forget a lot....I dont know why

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i always do in the camaro or the intrepid, but for some reason when im in the silverado i do or dont put it on.
its just something about the truck that sometimes i dont even think about putting it on.

but in the cars its the first thing i do soon as i get in

shrugs

·
Banned
256 Posts
Seat Belts are second nature now. i just do it.
Air bags are nice. When a customer says his air bag light is on, and asks: should I fix it? My answer is : It only has to work once to be worth it.
only other time I got really hurt was in my '97 f-150 the airbag went off.. and my left hand smacked the upper door post.. the right off the rear window/roof..
both hands broken..face burnt.. trashing around as the airbag area was smoking. and the bang to the face made my vision a blurr..

I hope the 2nd gen air bags are better, cause that rocket in the wheel was not a safety item..
why the airbag go off.. a dumptruck at the light infront of me rolled backwards into my truck.. it was a 5mph hit.. no need for the air bags..
first and only time with an airbag.. and hope to h_ll , never again..

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
Early air bags were scary. Second gen were better.
Third gen is pretty decent, occupant weight sensor, seat position sensor , side impact sensors - bags , belt pre tensioners... etc... all help with deployment that is more "tailored" to the needs that the involved crash demands.
I agree, first gen was about as good as a stone axe for cutting wood.:D
Still better than biting the steering wheel at a 60 MPH sudden stop :smash:

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
If I want my kids to wear it... I do it.. Only way to teach them... I hate wearing it,, But I don't want them seeing me not wearing it..;)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It´s a good poll but I´m sure it would be different if asking the "general public".
We all tend to well informed about the consequences of not wearing seatbelts,
just as we over maintain our rides as well.
Most don´t even consider it.
Although it´s a fineable offence here as is using a cell phone or children on the laps of front seat passengers I see it being done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.