Votes: 1 0.9%
  • What is a Manual Transmission?

Votes: 2 1.7%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was prompted by a coversation I had at work today (well yes they are all computer nerds) But a MAJORITY of my co-workers cant drive a stick shift. And this was fairly common in girls AND guys. All though most were from LARGE east coast cities. I wondered how that question would fair on this board "full of rodders!"

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
When my wife and I went car shopping (7+ years ago) and started looking at trucks, we agreed on two things. She got an extended cab and I got a manual trans. Her '90 Olds is an automatic and my '93 is a stick. After teaching her to drive the truck, now she wants a Saturn... with a stick!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funny you should bring this up, I work at a Tire shop & 99% of the time, I get to drive the stick shifts, as the others can't! :drunk:

Some of you know, I am originally from the UK, there the normal method of learning to drive is on a stick shift, then you are allowed to drive an auto. :confused:

However....if you take the test on an auto equipped car, you need a further test to drive a stick! :eek:

Dave

:mwink:

·
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
299 Posts
In a car, an automatic doesn't bother me. However, in a pickup, a stickshift is a MUST! Ever tried towing any heavy loads with a automatic? I feel there is little to no control over your load, and controlled downshifts are critical on wet roads.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
I love to row through the gears on a manual trans, there is something missing from putting a car or truck in drive and going on your way. Though I wouldn't trade my automatic in my truck for a stick in big city driving either. I have them both a stick in my car and automatics in the rest of my cars and trucks, too bad the clutch is out of my car.:( :( :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
I drive a stick everyday. A big, hairy Dodge Diesel 6 speed.

I also have a Super T-10 and and a T-56 for my LeMans project.

My wife will have nothing to do with a stick however. She has driven the truck once or twice but only real short distances. Her excuse is that you have to concentrate too much on driving :pain: :pain:

Wally

·
Registered
133 Posts
:welcome: My commuter/winter beater is a S---box Kia Rio, a stick is the only way to go there. My F-250 is a 5 spd as well. I was in a fix at the time and needed a truck asap, so beggers can't be choosers. I'd much rather have an auto in it though. In both race cars I have autos. It's pretty nice just to put the Mustang in 2nd and auto-x it! :p

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
If it has wheels or tracks I can drive it. I like both and really have no preferance. The autoboxes these days are very reliable so its just a matter of choice.

Al

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
In Europe stick is the norm, automatic drivers are looked upon as being wimps and not "drivers".
My third car was an auto and I loved it from day one, let me steer and concentrate on the road.
I did accelerate the auto a couple of times and when I heard the rpm say "change gear" stood on the brake thinking I had a clutch.
Same with a manual a couple of times, come to a standstill and expect it to idle in neutral without selecting, soon sinks in.
We have three cars here, my Camaro-autobox / Audi-manual and a BMW which is auto/stick shift.
I have no problem switching cars never seem to forget what I am driving.
Now going from righthand drive to left, that was a problem for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Nightfire said:
I learned to drive in a stick and still is my first choice. My mom has stick, my dad auto, but that's just cause Dodge Caravans didnt come with stick.

Mike
You'd die for my dad's ol heap. Its an 86 caravan with a 5 speed manual. Crazy huh? Most people have never even seen one.

K

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I learned to drive in a stick, thats all we had! I had to take my drivers test in a stick as well, after trying to convince my neighbor to let me use her auto car for the test.

I live on the San Francisco Penninsula, and have to drive through the city everyday on my way to work. Not to mention that alot of my friends and family live there. the stick is a PAIN in city traffic, especially with all those hills, and there have been some times where I have had to paralell park on a steep grade facing down! that can be a little hairy! But over all I enjoy the control of shifting.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
My wife and I prefer standard trannys.For meone thought is cost of repair, auto repair costs are waaaay to high for me. :pain: 2500 to fix a buddys chev pick up trans, that's a lot of dinero. Dan

·
Registered
159 Posts
My Jetta is a 5-speed, so was Chuck's when we had it. I learned to drive standards on Chuck's old 74 Honda Civic. THAT was FUN!! Then when we decided to get married we looked at buying a 4 -wheel drive, of course it was a standard, but it had been awhile since Chuck had the Civic so I had to learn all over again. I also learned how to ride his motorcycle (Yamaha FZ750), and his dirt bike.
Actually that's not entirely true. I really learned how to drive a standard on my Grampa's old International Harvester tractor. I would pull the hay wagon while Grampa, and Dad and Uncle loaded the bales.

Chickie.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.