Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well do you? I am setting here today thinking about a close call I just had.
Ya see the wife and I decided to go to town this afternoon to find some good Chinese Take out. It is a 25 to 30 minute drive to town along a 2 lane road called State Route 109. Just about 4 or so miles from the town of Hoquiam the hiway drops from the coastal hills to right along the Grays Harbor. It is a nice scenic drive with sharp banks on the uphill side and a short run past the road that drops into Grays Harbor. this is the last 4 miles into the town of Hoquiam. We drove through there about 3:00pm on our way to just inside the town Hoquiam. We were commenting on the fact we had not seen so many big boulders on the shoulder in a long time.
(This road is a famous slide area and every year we has some type of slide event and sometimes closes the road for a day or so.)
Well we were in town all of 25 minutes and we got ourselves turned around and headed home via SR 109. We were just about a mile from where the road goes up into the hills and the slide danger lessens. All of a sudden around a curve at 50mph and there are two pick ups setting across the road and people jumping up and down yelling something so I stopped and rolled the window down and a breathless man said "The road is closed and there is a huge slide across the road you going to have to go back towards town and take a detour route. Well I pulled over and like a good looky lou sent the wife ahead to see if she could get a picture. When she came back she was just shaking her head and said the whole hill came down all the way across the road and was 80 ft deep on the hi side and say 10 to 12 deep on the water side all the way to the shoreline. Just incredible she couldn't see just how far down the slide was so when we finished we did the detour and went to the other end of the slide and I believe the slide is at least 1/4 to 1/2 miles wide. Looks like we have us a detour that add 25 minutes to the normal 30 minutes to travel the distance from our house to the first larger town away. There is no official work if anyone was caught in the slide but that could be a real possibility.

If I had just left my house a few minutes later I could have been in the middle of that, as it was I missed the slide by about 22 minutes. I do feel that there was someone watching over...

Yeah, I do feel Lucky!!! View attachment 613826

View attachment 613827 View attachment 613826 View attachment 613827

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
glad your safe. as soon as you said Hoquiam, i laughed. i was thru there a couple times in march, just as covid shut everything down. i have a nephew in humptulips that i visited on my way to seattle. yeah covid ground zero

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
Wow. Good thing your wife is not normal. Every other wife on the planet is generally 20 minutes late "getting ready".

·
Semper Gumby
395 Posts
You are jinxing yourself when you say that. Once upon a time, I had (stupidly) commented that I never won big on Lotto, but nearly always got my money back.
Well, next thing I knew, I was the "official" coordinator of the office lotto pool. Everyone puts in $5 every payday, I buy the tix and we share out the winnings.
Of course, we never won a single cent afterwards. :mad:👿

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.