Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
change camshafts?
my students left last week so i have nothing to do till after new years. like two weeks. i have to check my differential fluid but i have a cam, lifters, gears, intake and carb to rebuild and install. i can use my shop, although my bosses don't like it they never come into my shop and so what anyway. just wondering if i should give it a shot? yes, i am the same guy who put my crank gear on the wrong cog last spring, but that means i'll be extra extra careful this time. besides, i gotta stock replacement chain, not a stupid *** Cloyes chain this time: only one way to go on.
in case anybody is wondering if i am making a racial joke, yeah, i'm a po' dum white boy named sam:p

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Sam,
With your luck,,,,,,, leave it to the professionals (students)... or you'll end up with a pan gasket failure, which will dump oil on the road, causing a 384 car pileup in your driveway...at BEST! Then the En-Con's will be there to slap you with a Exxon Valdez citation. Greenpeace will picket your house, and park their 38' fishing boat in your bathtub. Then, once in your house, they'll smell the bugspray from this summers bees and designate your house as "Unfriendly to Insects". They will wash every spec inside, and re-establish the colony with 3 Mothra sized queenbees. This will attract the birds, so you will have Alfred Hitchcock looking for his "cut" on your re-inactment. The excess amount of birds will attract all the neighborhood cats, so then ..... You really sure you want to try this? :D

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
most of my students have never seen a rachet before. and i dont have to take the oil pan off on this 326! i've had the water pump and timeing chain cover off before to replace a leaky gasket before. i have to get my Q jet rebuilt first. i think i am going to try it myself. i've done holleys but these things are scarey. thanks for all the votes of confidence. i do have two weeks. plus i can stay all night if i have to. i'm thinkin i gotta do this thing! first off is making sure i will have a carb to put on it when i'm done

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
No offense Sammy ! I HAD to bust on ya! After all, who posted "worlds worst mechanic" in their byline? Give it a try. What do you have to lose, other than trnasportation, of course..

:D

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
q jet rebuild

i thought my Mr Goodwrench buddy was on crack when he said he'd charge me $75 to rebuild it, he's always to cheap on everything else, for example, $50 to change a half-shaft in my now-juck grand-am. but then the local yocal machine shop owner i use says that q-junks are his specialty and he will charge me $150!!! i about puked. yeah i know rebuild Q's are $450 but wow. i asked why so much and he went on about blocking emissions this and that and media blasting out the innards and setting this and that. screw that. why cant i just wack it with brake or carb cleaner inside and out and rebuild the stupid thing. yes it came off a 1976 olds, and so there was some smog stuff, but what effect would that really have on my returning it to stock configuration for the 76 olds 350 engine and putting it on my 326 with summit 2800 cam. i think it should be fine, correct me if i'm wrong, as usual

·
Registered
87 Posts
get a book

Get the book "Rochester Carburetors" by Doug Roe. Get it at a book store for about $18.00 or on e-bay like I did for around $4.00.

Mike C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts