Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1953 Ford 8rbt V-8 Truck Flat Head. Temp Runs 180 To 190. Runs At Normal Temp While Driving. After Stopping, Vomits Thru Over Flow Tube. It's One Thing After Another When You Try To Finish A Project Started By Someone Else. Tested Thermostats And They Open Very Slow In Boiling Water..........i'm Thinking About Leaving Them Out Permanently. Flushed Recored (so He Said ) Radiator And Didn't See Any Rust. What Are Your Thoughts On Leaving Out The Stats ?? I'm Not Concerned About The Heater.

:( Doc

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Flatheads were always known for overheating problems. I think the trick is to make sure you get all the air out of the sysrem. Don't run without a thermostat.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Your temperature is not too hot at all. The puking after shutdown may be the result of filling the raditor too high.
On a pressurized system without a puke tank and return line the water level in the radiator is rarely at the top of the tank. My 40 Ford Std. Coupe with a stock 4lb. cap would always puke when stopped if the water level to begin with was higher than 2" below the radiator cap. I learned to avoid the embarrassing spill on shutdown by simply never filling the radiator over that level.
You may not have a heat problem, just a water level problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts