Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are currently racing a dodge with a 2.2 liter engine. The O2 sensors have been disconnected as well as the catylitic converter, but in this division that's all we can do. The engine is popping and losing at 4700 rpm range. Have we created a lean problem or is there a factory rev limiter? We have replaced the coil and distributor cap but nothing has helped. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I might be better able to help if I knew the year and model of your car, also is it carburated or injected(port or throttlebody) also are you racing road,circle(dirt or asphalt),or strip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car my nephew is racing is a 87 model I think. I'llcheck on that. The car is a 5-speed and racing on a half mile asphalt track. He's running about 70 mph or so going in the turns, and everybody else says their between 75 and 80. That is in 3rd gear. He's tried shifting when it starts missing and that helps some, but the engine just won't turn go past 4500rpm. THANKS, TERRY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is injected, but aparently some of the sensors have been removed before he got the car. Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
323 Posts
plug in the O2 sensor it is a major part of the fuel injection. boost your fuel pressure a few lbs try a fuel pressure regulator so you can tune it

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm curious about your sanctioning body. I crewchiefed an 85 Charger at a NASCAR track in Rockford,ILL. We had to run carbs per rules. But your situation sounds better (inj vs carb) reconect all sensors as they are critical to overall engine performance and operation. next try gettin max total adv from your dist. the engine should rev to 5500-6000 safely and effectively, then try runnin 2nd gear continuosly if your on a short track (1/4-3/8 mile)(RKFD is a 1/4 mile and we ran 2nd w/4spd)I'm very interested in what you're doin and would like to help as much as I can. You can also keep me posted at [email protected] or if you need some speed SECRETS....go fast and turn left, the only way to race

·
Registered
87 Posts
To quote a famous race car driver
"Anybody can mash the gas and go fast, but it takes a driver to whoa the car, turn it around and go fast in the other direction."
Dick Trickle NWC

but then I'm just teasin, everybody has their own and thats what makes this country so wonderful

1 - 8 of 8 Posts