Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive gotta 78 truck 318 that i was building and needed help finding out some things first does anyone know a rated horsepower on the stock steel cranks i was told my pistons and connecting rods wouldnt handle 500hp but the crank shouldnt be a issue. also im using the stock heads which i cant seem to find a approx compression ratio or cc i would rather keep has much has i can asside from rods and pistons and the rest be bolt on's
i was going to do a port match and polish on the heads and use edelbrock rpm intake with a 750 edelbrock i got layin around
also should i install some 2.02 1.60 valves or go smaller and try to improve volumetric efficency i believe 1.94 1.54 if im correct was better for flow
also anyone know of a good set of springs i wanted sometin around 488 lift using maybe 1.6 roller rockers any help apperiacted (excuse my poor spelling)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Pick up an issue of the new Engine Masters on the news stand, it's a special popular hotrodding mag. They do a 318 build in there that will surprise you. 415 horse at 6200 rpm with stock rocker setup. They actually lost power with the full rollers.

it's 40 over with flat tops and some milled and cleaned up 360 heads. a comps xe275hl cam w/ matching springs. Stock crank and rods

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant seem to find that issue in my area but is there any more info on it i know ill get some flack from you N/a guys but i was plannin a 300 whp motor with a 200 shot of nitrous hense the new connecting rods and valve springs but a 360 head or 340 seems to be my best choice any how i guess there rectangle port and 318 uses oval or something i donno

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.