Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife's car needs help ? 92 Dodge with an A604 four speed automatic. Keeps going into "LIMP MODE" for no reason that I can figure. Would a bad Speed Sensor cause this ? Sometimes the speedo does'nt work for short periods at a time. Could this be a clue as to a bad sensor ? All replies will be considered because I really am not a trans guy.........CRAIG

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes a speed sensor could cause this. Erratic speedois a symptom of faulty speed sensors. However, due to the sophisticaton of the electronics, the correct diagnosis is one that is peformed using a diagnostic scanner. Guessing and throwing parts at this problem is a waste.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check the codes, then you will be able to tell

I work on transmissions everday, and i havn't fixed a 604 with a speed sensor yet. It most likely needs a rebuild, not a cheap or easy trans to rrebuild either

Brendan

·
Registered
498 Posts
I, too, work on transmissions everyday. I cannot count how many defective speed sensors I have replaced to repair transmission operational problems. Mopar, GM, Ford, etc ALL have speed sensor issues.
Hard to believe a statement like that was made...

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
Chazmac said:
I, too, work on transmissions everyday. I cannot count how many defective speed sensors I have replaced to repair transmission operational problems. Mopar, GM, Ford, etc ALL have speed sensor issues.
Hard to believe a statement like that was made...
yea, what he said...

·
Administrator
9,766 Posts
Speed sensors often cause shifting problems..... a TPS can too.

That is why an experienced trans person will ask a group of basic questions per a specific vehicle or symptoms described.

We had a customer come in real upset about his girl friends f-250 4x4 truck tranny(E4OD) that was just installed (our trans , another shop installed it).

After the female described the problem , I looked under the truck. The Drive shaft was about to fall out. The center support bearing mount was hanging by 1 bolt. A bad install IMHO.

carry on....... :D

The description of an erratic speed-O is an indicator to look at that problem first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so far.........All codes come up clean. I'm afraid of a big bill at a trans shop! Speed sensor is only 25 bucks, but what would be another sign of a bad or going bad TPS ?

·
Registered
576 Posts

use a 1 inch or 26 mm socket or wrench works too and change rear speed sensor, also you might want to replace connector(pigtail) doge will sale both connectors about 20 bucks and sensor is about 20 too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HiPoVAN said:
Thanks so far.........All codes come up clean. I'm afraid of a big bill at a trans shop! Speed sensor is only 25 bucks, but what would be another sign of a bad or going bad TPS ?
Hi everyone,listen,on a 604 trans this year there is a vehicle speed sensor for the speedo on top of the R.H. axle extension housing,this sounds like your problem.Diagnostic codes for the trans are only available through the blue connector near the fuse box,as the trans has its own controller.The trans controller uses 2 speed sensors on the front of the trans.one is turbine speed one is output shaft speed,but these have nothing to do with vehicle speed on a'92,it is also possible that a'92 may also have a cable at the VSS,make sure it is not slipping in the gear at the trans.Hope this info helps,good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No cable,all electronic. I think[don't quote] 3 seed automatics are different. A604's is a different ball game. this is why I' m asking because I'm up in the air on this one. Good car till this happened. Please dont say $1400 dollars to fix, as this car has been babied..........speed sensor will be tried and a buddy has a new TPS ..same part# as this Dodge. Thanks so far......

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
ive seen a vss on the ext. housing on the early 604's (all electronic), but dont ever recall seeing a cable for 1. now a 670(413/404, really early stuff. lol) is another story.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This car will be fixed , even I have to put a Ford.... Perr....Swader... somewhere ! ......ya think . Chevy man here, but this car is a Dodge '92 Spirit Es 3.0L. Been good for 6 yrs since she wanted it. Under a 100 on the clock. When its fixed, I'll update..............

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Up Date

Well put in both input and output sensors with the battery disconnected.
Raised front wheels off the ground and did a dozen or so 0 to 50 mph tests hoping to reset the computer. Now the car shifts good but won't go into overdrive. It doesn't go back into limp mode though. So a neighbor gave me a rebuilt solenoid shift pack that has never been put on a car. Its not a Borg Warner but a chrysler shift solenoid. No gasket or gaskets in the box. Now my question is how do I determine if I need to use the factory seperator plate or not when I install this? This one was remanufactured by Transparts Inc which just went out of business. Chrysler part #4431700. Thanks for all the good help so far......CRAIG

·
Registered
576 Posts

some 604 will not shift into 4th unless the wheels are on the ground,to answer you question about the plate and gasket, does the pack look the same as old one ? did it have the plate? the new style look's different and doesn't use the plate and has different gasket. trans star transmission parts would sell a new pack or the dealer. I wouldn't use a pack I knew nothing about.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This pack has never been mounted. Was hoping maybe to get a little insight before I took it apart. So if it looks the same use the plate, if it looks different don't use the plate?

·
Registered
576 Posts

I am posting pictures to show you the plate and different packs.

late model no plate single gasket

early model plate two gasket and rubber cover

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. This one is an old style. Since it has never been mounted or used I guess its worth a try. All it will cost is the price of the gaskets. Are both gaskets identical or is there a differance? Thanks for the pics, that answered a bunch of questions running through my non Chrysler brain!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts