Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dodge 318 and I was wondering how much trouble it would be to put it into my 1992 1 ton ford. I appreciate any input I can get thanks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
2 wheel drive?
Just the engine, or engine and trans?

Mopar starter gears are attached to the torque converter, while fords are attached to the flexplate. so you either need a mopar trans, or fabricate a way to mate the mopar to the ford

The wiring for the Mopar will need to be intergrated into the ford harness for guages and altenator to work properly.

Fuel system will have to be adapted, whether youre staying with efi or switching to carb.

You'll need motor mounts(another fabbed part, do you have welding equipement and skills?)

Fabricate an exhaust, could use stock manifolds if they exit in the right spot.

Not impossible, and Im pretty sure it'd be fairly unique.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because i have a really running engine. 460s are junk and I dont know how to know for sure I am getting a windsor instead of a cleveland. @ the former street racer i have the engine and trans. My ford is a 2 drive and the dodge is a 4. I can weld and have a couple of welders at my disposal.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
mission raceway BC has a 1977 Camaro with a 383 dodge engine in it.Not sure I would choose a 318 for a ford 1 ton? Ford has a big engine bay so try it out,,,

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I had a 455 poncho in my 66 ford f250 so anything is possible.
Easy way to tell a windsor from a cleveland block is the thermostat housing attaches to the intake on a windsor and into the block on a cleveland.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Because i have a really running engine. 460s are junk and I dont know how to know for sure I am getting a windsor instead of a cleveland. @ the former street racer i have the engine and trans. My ford is a 2 drive and the dodge is a 4. I can weld and have a couple of welders at my disposal.
460 is far from junk, they just came at a time when the eco police were cracking down hard, so most stock make around 200hp. There design is solid. D0VE heads ( or other small chamber head ), aftermarket timing chain installed straight up, and they start to turn into runners. Stroker BBF's are a great value.. If your 1 ton has a 460, and your basing it on that, the EFI 460 uses a heavily restrictive cylinder head and intake combo, and the EFI heads only fit the EFI manifold.

318's not gonna be much engine in a 1 ton Ford, doable tho, but you'll need some diffrent parts to run that 4x4 trans in a 2wd truck

·
Registered
650 Posts
Is this gonna be a daily driver, or a Hotrod.

If this is a driver, trade the 318 for a replacement motor, or cash to buy a replacement motor.
A 318 swap will require you to crossbreed the power steering system(ford steering, dodge pump, custom hoses)

You'll need a 2 wheeldrive trans, or the ability to disassemble and convert yours to 2 wheel drive.

A replacement(new, rebuilt,scrapyard, other) Ford motor(what do you currently have? ) is a bolt in, no fabrication, less time and money overall. And you could throw on a few aftermarket bolt in parts to improve the performance of the motor/truck.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
This is a ridiculous post.

A 318 in a 6300 pound F350 is close to the worst possible choice - regardless of the fact a 318 is a great engine

460 Fords are far from junk. What they are is gas hogs.

The difference between a Ford 'C' and a 'W' is simple

You need some self education on engines before you make bald statements such as these to an intelligent group such as on Hotrodders

1 - 10 of 10 Posts