Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dodge unveils sketch of new Charger.

Dodge has confirmed with this first sketch that it aims to again recreate some of the company's early muscle-car magic conjured by the Charger name.

The 2006 Charger, a stout and roubust four-door that carries a rakish roof line and the large, egg-crate face of the company's performance car and truck division, also replaces Dodge's Intrepid NASCAR entry. It looks "almost like a four-door coupe" said Dr. Dieter Zetsche in an exclusive interview on Friday.

The Charger will debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January 2005, and is expected to enter showrooms in the spring of 2005. True to its power image, it will carry with it the much-vaunted, 340-hp Hemi engine under the hood as an option. Its base engine is expected to be a 3.5-liter V6 making 250 horsepower.

The 2006 Dodge Charger, alongside its NASCAR counterpart. The NASCAR version will deubt at the 2005 Daytona 500.

When the Charger first appeared in 1966 it was an enthusiasts' dream with high power, great performance and slick style that competed and won on oval tracks as well as drag strips.

In the early 1970s, however, thanks to government-mandated emissions constraints and rising gas prices, the Charger began a long and steady fall from car guy grace. It reached its nadir in 1981 when the company took the once-proud name and attached it to a thoroughly dreadful front-drive coupe in an effort to capitalize on its heritage and move units.

The new regime at DaimlerChrysler understands it doesn't have the benefit of overpromising and underdelivering. "We have to get the product right everytime," Zetsche said.

Pricing for the car will likely start at just below the Chrysler 300, at around $23,000.

·
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!
363 Posts
It reminds me of the magnum with out the wagon part. I like em both, cool look for a newer car.

grunt grunt, Pop's opens the hood says Now this is what you need to know son, Can you say Hemi......lil kid: Hemi.

I know, I know. Thats a durango commercial but, oh well. :thumbup:

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I'd like to know what kind of fumes are in these guys think tanks. They get a car that seems to go over well (Magnum) then they want to make everything look like that. I think the concept is waaayyy better looking.

Kevin

·
Registered
150 Posts
What a shame. The Charger name is being used on a 4-door family car. What's next? a 4-door family Super Bird?

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
I guess I looked at the picture too long, the more I look at it, the more the front resembles one of their pickups.

The concept was far better looking but they should weld the back two doors.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Well at least the Derdge and Phord folks get a rwd CAR. Bowtie fans get to choose between a ugly truck and an even uglier convertible milk wagon. Corvettes and pug nosed Aussie imports don't count.

Larry

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
coldknock said:
Well at least the Derdge and Phord folks get a rwd CAR. Bowtie fans get to choose between a ugly truck and an even uglier convertible milk wagon. Corvettes and pug nosed Aussie imports don't count.

Larry
Good point. At least the new Charger isn't as dog-ugly as the new Mustangs. 4-doors is hard to get over though.

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
as a dude that grew up wanting a 1969 charger with a big 01 on the side and rebel flag on top, that is throughly disturbing to me.

When I first saw concepts for the Chrysler 300 and the magnum, I thought they were very unique and would give me something different to look at in my commute than all the millions of "passat" clones that are on the road.. changing the entire line to reflect a new look is a stupid trend. And is evidence by the 2004 chevys THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME, cant tell a colorado from a malibu!

Very recently after reading a forbes article, I am quite dis-heartened that Dodge/CHrysler is turning into "American Mercedes" and I was even more floored when I found out that the "new" hemi is just a rehashed MB engine.

Auto companies dont listen to the public, they only obey charts and graphs the "marketing" people give them. There are WAY to many "segments". Look at the Dart/Valiant you could get the 2 door the 4 door or a wagon, occasionally a convertable. that was it... now you got sports wagons, family wagons, 4 or 5 SUV segments not to mention 100 Truck segments... its all too much and to me is the main reason the car industry is suffering.

The new charger looks like the 300 with a sloped c pillar, the charger should be a 2 door, not a four door, but they probably have "results" from some focus group that says people want performance and four doors.. they are relying too much on nostalgia. With the new "HEMI" and the "rumble Bee" truck etc..
if they want to impress me, they need to make a dodge neon with the hemi in it... (ala the "homemade" 440 darts you see, or the 383 Duster)

Soory this turned into a rant
stepping of my soap box now...

:evil:
GLuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Boooooo First they stick the name on an Omni then they do it again. At least we wont see any Plymouth names demeaned. As you guys know, I am a mopar guy, but we all have to remember that old mopar is dead and gone.

Chrysler had a pretty good alegiance with the old rodders with the Direct Connection program and MP, but I really doubt that the guys building these new things even know the history of their brands.

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
Yes Mopar Religion you are right. I think that has more to do with the fact that the guys "designing them" (or at least the guys directing the designers) are in Stutgart and not Detroit... American car culture is lost on most americans, do you think Germans even have a clue what american car culture is?

The only thing I can say for the germans, is they do have their own culture with the Benz' and the Audis etc.. they do understand the thrill of driving fast with the Autobahns....
but leave it to Americans, to make american cars.

Mopar has brought up a good point with the Omni charger.. The car companies think that can sell cars by sticking a cool name on POS. Example (and their are many now) The Malibu, the GTO, the Thunderbird, The Impala... and looming on the horizon is the New Camaro and the New Belair...

man this thread has been the reason for two extra cig breaks for me today..I gotta stop readining it

....but I cant!!

:evil:
GLuck

·
Registered
63 Posts
I remember seeing the charger concept car quite a while back. I couldn't believe it was a 4 door, you couldn't even tell because of the cool body lines. They wouldn't be able to make enough of those, so instead they redesign it into the boringmobile. Just when I thought Dodge was coming up with good new designs, like the Magnum, they put out this piece of crap. It should be called the "Dodge Car" because there's nothing to make it unique, and it definately is not worthy of the name Charger. I like the idea of the car makers bringing back some of the styling cues from old cars, but the new charger design isn't working for me. Maybe the big 3 should hire some back yard street rod builders.

-Shane
www.RustToRod.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts