Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 C-10 with the original 12 bolt 3.73 open rear end and am wondering if it has "C" clips ? I am of course trying to avoid removing the cover . I have been reading about 12 bolts here and there and it seems the internals are different from a passenger car . Can someone tell me how? I have another question conserning a 10 bolt posi I removed from a 66 Bonneville . The ring gear has 12 bolts on it ( 2.56 ) and 32 , yes 32 splines on the axles . The pinion has the normal amount . The axles are also 32 " long and have no " C " clips . Was this normal for this year ? Thanks Mike

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
yes they are all c clip,
car and truck both are
you have to remove the cover
most all SF axles out there are c clip design except a very rare few including the 9" fords

the bonneville axle could be a B&O or O type and were unique and werent the same as the c clip design as all the others

thre are other cars with the 10 bolt cover but have 12 bolts on the ring gear such as in the late 70s caddies, and alot of them were 2.29 ratio, i had a 79 caddy limousine that was this way

go here and scroll dowon to 12 bolt O axle
http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/info/tech/diff_id/diff_id.htm

do a google search to learn about them

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link , what about the 32 splines on the axle ?

From what I have read a stock 12 bolt has only 30 splines , this has 32 . The car had a 389 in it but that should not matter . My main question has been answered about the " C " clips , I need no more info . Thanks Mike

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
30 yes

dunno on the axle you have though,

i dont know my old school ponocho engines so i have no idea what a 389 is other than its a v-8 and its old
you dont see such things over here in IL, its rare enough to see a 454 chevy around here let alone something like you have

good luck :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for getting back about my problem .

I was just trying to figure out if I had a strange set up or what . Does any one know if this posi is worth any thing ? It will need new clutches because it only takes 20 lb-ft to turn it independently . Thanks Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.