Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
It just takes time and money
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times do we have to respond to "What is the firing order of a 350" or " Where can I get a rebuild kit for my Holley DP?". COME ON, these are questions that don't even belong here. It seems the only reason for them, is, to add to post counts. Simple, ready available info, like these questions request, do no rate a post. Please people, take the initiative to research these questions. What are we talking about; 3 minutes in Google?
I guess I am getting curmudgeonly in my old age.
AngliaBob

·
Registered
654 Posts
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 if I remember correctly. OK, just kidding about the firing order.

I've noticed a bit of what you mention, especially on a newer daily driver. Perhaps they really need help and can't afford to pay a technician to fix their car so they come here looking for answers.

On the other hand many of the questions (where can I find axles?) could be answered by thumbing through any performance automotive publication's advertisements. They could pick one up or subscribe, like I do.

I suppose an option is to ignore any questioned post one doesn't want to spend time with.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Right On Bob.

Some of the questions people ask, they could answer themselves with a search on www.google.com in less time that it takes to make a new thread on here.

Or better yet, a search in the forum their question would pertain to.

The best thing to do is search the board for them, find several threads when the same question was asked and answered, post the old threads, and tell them to try a search before asking a question the next time. Hopefully some will take the hint.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crazy Larry,
LOL......We all need to have a sense of humor to get though daily life..Thanks...I needed the smile muscles exercise...
AngliaBob

PS: Plus I added to my post count.......

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crazy Larry,
"is 'carmudgeonly' anything akin to 'old and crotchety'?"
Yes, plus being old enough to be able to, ignore what any one has to say to you...because you been there done that and don't care...
AngliaBob

PS: it's 'curmudgeonly', although 'carmudgeonly' is appropriate for this forum.

·
1,821 Posts
crazy larry said:
This is in the wrong forum. looks like someones idea to get their post count up. thanks, i needed that.:thumbup:
What are you kidding me, if Bob posted this in the lounge half the people in there wouldn't have a clue what he is talking about. (What tech forums? Where?)

--add one to the old post count.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I'm with you man. I just don't see the point in it, why bother waiting for somebody to answer a question that's been answered 45768 times on this site? If you need a freaking firing order, google it up or use the search button on the board.

Or how about the, "how much horse will my combo make." The ones I especially like are the guys who are obviously never going to build the damned thing. Like good god man, don't waste our time, honestly. Some of here ask questions about real motors made out of sweat, hard earned money and cast iron. Keep the ones made out of dreams and pages of the jegs catalog to your damned self, really.

You're not a curmudgeon yet. I feel the same way man.

K

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hay, what life without dreams. You have em, i have em, so lets just all play along with one another, and all our lives will be happier.

·
1,821 Posts
406chevelle said:
KF,

I believe that question has been answered 18436572 times on this site..haha

Sorry just poking fun, it is way past my bed time, good night.

406chevelle
haha, that was pretty good 406Chevelle.

Maybe Jon could work on some type of system that detects key words or phrases like firing order, mufflers, ect. that will trigger a pop up requesting you do a search before posting your thread.

·
Tired old shiftworker
82 Posts
That's a sweet idea Ghetto Jet I wonder if jon could get it to work.

You guys are right also by going to google first before going anywhere else. Google rules and if you don't use it you are missing out.:nono:

·
Registered
654 Posts
mk8-78tabubba said:
Hay, what life without dreams. You have em, i have em, so lets just all play along with one another, and all our lives will be happier.
mk8-78tabubba has a good point. When I was a teen my "dreaming" was done by talking with the best mechanic in town. We obviously didn't have the internet then. My dreams took me through four years of automotive college to work for a major auto company in a variety of service / technical areas for the last 21 years. The "best mechanic in town" is now retired however he comes to my shop to help me with my projects - all which were dreams years ago. He helped start them. All the knowledgeable folks here might be someone's "best mechanic in town". You might help them to achieve their dreams.

Dreaming is a good thing. Asking without doing any research is using others.

Hey guys, what is the fascination with post count? I come here to learn and share hotrodding.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

I believe the computer has made folks that way.........:rolleyes:

Young people (who grew up with computers) even more so than us 'mature' folks'

Years ago you had to search for information...........and most of the guys who ran good..........were not real keen on helping you catch up to them......

With the Internet, all is different. There is a lot of information out there. Sometimes, a lot of misinformation.....

I see a good bit of transmission poo............on this forum. Quoted by some who most likely could not change a filter in one. The same goes for Mustang II/Pinto front ends.........they are NOT for every car on the road .......Frame swaps rank right up there with all this foolishness......you cannot just take a body off, put it on another different frame and drive off into the sunset the next day with NO fabricating or problems.

COMMON SENSE.............. ;)

That is another thing missing from most of these posts......

How can I put a 354 Hemi in my Taurus ?? can I do it in a weekend..I am on a limited budget, do not have a garage and live in Michigan.....the snow is 2 foot deep and 28 degrees.......

Get real...........

Sorry for the little rant but ..............:smash: :smash:

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
maybe just for the noob's we can have a pop up screen when they click "start new thread" that takes you right to the google search page .... that should tip people off, lol

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Duece,
That is exactly what I'm talking about. I can't put together all the info anybody may need, but I spent 3 hours putting together a document on firing orders. I sent a PM to Jon, because I would like to have input on the validity of the info I put together. I think this would be helpful, and we wouldn't need to answer this question again. I don't think there is anyway to stop people from being lazy, but, if these posts show up, maybe a message can be sent "this info is on the site, please do a search", and then the thread can get dumped.
AngliaBob

PS:I thinks the mods do a GREAT job....I think maybe it's time to be a little more assertive, concerning pie-in-the-sky and bogus posts.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
AngliaBob said:
PS:I thinks the mods do a GREAT job....I think maybe it's time to be a little more assertive, concerning pie-in-the-sky and bogus posts.

I believe that the Moderators do a good job too.....;)

Most, if not all, work on their own stuff and have a real base knowledge of most things automotive.

Crosley...........makes his living working on automatic transmissions.........so he KNOWS his stuff.

Kristcustoms does upholstery.....

Centerline has a wealth of information from his Hemi experiences to suspension work. And a long time web user.

Poncho62 has built a wide variety of projects.........and I love that big Pontiac......

I do not know of Hovath but he seems active and has a nice Chevy truck.

I do not know of the rest........but everyone seems to try......... :cool:

Me.....I am just a old, fat southern hot rodder. I did tool and die work for years. Raced a dirt car ( and won ) in Late model Sportsman. Now I work for the government.....but am getting ready to retire .......I don't know why Jon picked me.....:embarrass

As far as being more assertive in the bogus department.......we all have delete powers........and editing but we try NOT to use them unless it is really necessary.

JON believes in the light handed approach

ME..........I like to NIP IT in the bud !! :D :D but Jon makes the rules........and is most likely RIGHT.....:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.